What kind of tug?

Found a great canine related product? Give it a review - good, bad, or meh
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

What kind of tug?

Post by centrop67 »

You may have seen my post on the Goughnuts stick. That was my main tug toy with Radar, and I have to admit that it was not the best for the webbing between my thumb and forefinger.

I want to buy a good quality and safer tug to start reinforcing better outs with Radar, and I am looking at these options from RayAllen.com:
Tugs.jpg
Tugs.jpg (34.68 KiB) Viewed 7563 times

Should I be looking at something else?

Which material is better, leather, hard leather, jute, or synthetic?

Opinions?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: What kind of tug?

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

http://www.hallmarkk9.com/Bite_Tugs.aspx

Check Jim hill out I order everything from him! Great service and quality! I'm not a ray Allen fan
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

I like the old ball on a string lol
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

http://www.dogsportgear.com/RedLine-K9- ... p_321.html

I prefer bite suit material and 2 handles.
Patty and Ice
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Thanks everyone - I'll checkout the other suppliers.

Patty, I was most concerned about getting a longer lasting material, and if you think the bite-suit ones are best I will lean in that direction. Definitely double-handle.

The ball and string is a problem for Radar, because he focuses his bite on the knots - not the ball. That kind of kills any structure I want to apply to training or play.

BTW - Steve, I had an excellent experience with RAK9. Can you send me a private message about your experience?
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

I'm just not a fan of their equipment! I'm a gappay/schwiekert that guy! Plus I get my stuff from hallmark next day!
Last edited by Steve Gossmeyer on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:09 pm I'm a gappay/s worker that guy!
I am not sure what this means???
Michael
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Gappy and schweikert are working dog equipment manufacturers... I prefer their stuff over ray Allen made equipment.. hallmark sells all gappay equipment
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Okay. Got it now
Michael
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I got a bite suit tug from RA. Single handle. The handle was severed moments after it arrived. As a tug, it's great. She did tear the hell out of one end when she was accidentally left alone with it. The part she actually grips and thrashes had held up surprisingly well. She'll hit it and spin me around with it. However, En is fifty pounds soaking wet. 95 lb Aurora calmly latches on and leans back leaving huge punctures that take a little to fill back in.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I had the bit suit material tug and the synthetic tug. Mine could not play with them as they wished, they were high value rewards. When I did agility with Thalie, I used to put the tug in my back pocket, and when she was done she would come up and grab it :DSangel:

I had a training vest too and that worked great, the tug goes in your side pocket.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage