Bark bark whine.

Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Bark bark whine.

Post by Joxgirl »

Soooooo, now that pup is older, she plays longer and is out of her pen more. We play outdoors for any length of time 10-60 mins multiple times during the day, depending on the heat and if I need to sleep. The pen is indoors and 5x5 and located in the kitchen. She also has a kennel that's in my room but only uses it at night. I think she prefers the pen as it's near the other dogs for night sleeping and day naps. However, I want her in the kennel at night. I sleep off and on during the day when I have or had a night shift. I wake up to take Rogue outside and give her whatever she needs, water, potty break, play, sunshine. On my days off, she's outside more with me. Inside she gets supervised off leash and on leash time.
That's all just some background.
Heres my problem: recently she's been whining more and doing short barks while in her Ex-pen. All her needs have been met. I think she just wants to roam. I see it more early in the morning and late afternoon, but not sure if that has any significance. Usually it is also after she has just had play time.
We just started obedience class. I'm a public servant and my boss just granted me a set days off for 6 weeks so I could take Rogue to class. (We are not allowed to have specific days off every week. 😡)
What advice do you all have. Telling her "no" isn't working and I can't reinforce it with the collar as she is in her pen and I'm busy with household things or studying while she's doing it.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Bark bark whine.

Post by TimL_168 »

En gets really grumbly resulting from just a few circumstances. 1) NEEDS to go potty. 2) I missed her perception of meal time 3) she's REALLY bored.
#3- she really only does this when she has access to me. If I put her up, she'd be fine. I wonder if you'd see a difference (after a period of time) if you moved the pen out of sight/earshot of you.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Tim, you might be on to something. I think when see she's us, she is more vocal. I will try having us out of sight when I need her to be put up. Thank you.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
piotrzaremba
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: None

Post by piotrzaremba »

Joxgirl,

I am new to the forum. I know your post is from October. Not sure if you tried the "out of sight out of mind technique." I have had my Dutch Shepherd Rescue for only 2 months, and he has/had a lot of separation anxiety, I am his fourth home. We finally found a way to manage it using several techniques. But the out of sight/attention out of mind approach did work best. Basically once placed in the crate we completely ignore the dog. Once in a while when we would walk by the crate and he was quite we would treat him. We learned that the treat had to be something amazing, Raw Brisket cubes worked wonders for me.

With my DS I have to crate him and be in sight for about 15 minutes so that it gives him time to adjust to the crate and he does not associate "leaving" with the crate. After that I can walk away with ease. Initial he would bark and go ballistic for about 10 to 40 minutes. But over time he finally understood that we are coming back whether we were in the house or out at work etc. I know your situation is different e.g. they are in the crate while in sight at night, my DS is out of the crate at night and in the same room just on an area rug with his bed on it. If I treated him something amazing while he was quite in the crate he started to understand that if he was quite in the crate when we are insight or out of sight it meant that he may have the potential of receiving one of his favor treats. It also built up a sense of security that it was his home and safe. We also feed him everything in the crate and place all safe toys in there.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

How old is she now? Is it just you in the house? What happens just before she whines? Do you have a routine that you follow? If so , does she know your routine?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Joxgirl wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:25 pm Tim, you might be on to something. I think when see she's us, she is more vocal. I will try having us out of sight when I need her to be put up. Thank you.
Send her to me lol I'll train her butt
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:33 pm
Joxgirl wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:25 pm Tim, you might be on to something. I think when see she's us, she is more vocal. I will try having us out of sight when I need her to be put up. Thank you.
Send her to me lol I'll train her butt
No doubt !!!!

What I found with Sadie, who is super vocal, I would watch for the triggers. for a while, every day at the same time she would get up and whine and stare at me. When I paid attention, It was the same time I would get up and go outside to the bottom of the drive and get the kids from the bus. She knew I was going somewhere.

They are more in tuned to you than you are of yourself. Check that out and see if that is what she is doing
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Here’s the update: Rogue is still whining but not as much as before. She wants to always be in the same room as me. She’s now 9 months old and since she started her first heat, she’s been a bit more calmer. That was a surprise. Her heat started in the first and is almost complete.
She is happy when my husband or daughter are in the same room. She prefers us to the other dogs, though they are somewhat company for her. The other two we refer to as the boys. The lab is about 11 now and he tolerates Rogue. He has to be watched as he has bit her twice without mercy, and he has gone after another dog recently that he has ever had issues with before. The malti-poo acts like a cat and is an ass to everyone so he shows only 1% of love to Rogue.
Rogue is very affectionate so she gets lots of love. I think in time she will do even better. (Wishful thinking)..
Hey STEVE, there are moments I wish I could send Rogue to you. Why do you have to live so far? I would gladly like to get training from you. Rogue does really well when she is “working”. Her attitude changes when the working collar goes on.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG