Not cheap!!!

Dietary/feeding issues
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Not cheap!!!

Post by Joxgirl »

I’m not a cheepscape, and a prepackaged raw diet is anything but cheep. I think good food is worth its weight in gold. I don’t want to go broke either. Going to try out a raw diet package sent to my home and then do my best to figure it out to keep the costs where they should be for our budget.
Is anyone interested in swapping recipes snacks made in the kitchen at home?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Not cheap!!!

Post by Dutchringgirl »

sometimes I will to pre packaged raw if I know my week will be tough, but I ususaly dont do it. I find good meat either on sale and then chop up my own stuff and make it for Them. Plus, I also do Acana as well, its a 5 star no grain top of the line food. If you cant do raw its ok. Just make sure what ever you feed them is quality.

you could also get a freezer and buy bulk from local farms

Check out Dogfoodadvisor.com too, they review everything, bag and raw
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Awesome. Thank you. We have an extra freezer and I will start looking for a farm in Utah because they are all over the place near our house out there. What a great idea!!!!
I will look at Acana. Thank you.
Tonight I put a sardine on top of her kibble and she loved it. I only found canned wild caught at the market I shop at. I am going to look at other markets around and some of the ethnic shops as suggested by West and Easton’s mom. Steve also provided me with some good info.
Thank you for helping me out. It means a lot to me that each one of you have taken the time to share with me.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Dont feed raw and kibble at the same time though, it will give them an upset tummy. Raw and processes digest at different times. Maby give the sardines as lunch

Of course we want to share with you, that is why we are here :DSlove:
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Ohhhhhh. Thank you. I will keep the kibble and raw separate.
Last edited by Joxgirl on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

also, start with chicken its the easiest to digest.
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:08 pm also, start with chicken its the easiest to digest.
Steve mentioned chicken backs and leg quarters. Do your dogs like those too?
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Many moons ago, I had a lab with severe food allergies. For 5 years, we fed him boneless chicken thighs and ground beef purchased in bulk at a wholesale club (BJs).

It wasn't exactly raw. We would partially boil the thighs and ground beef, and then sprinkle a vitamin powder in it (Sorry, I don't remember what it was.). We would then portion and freeze them and rotate them through a fridge-thaw before feeding.

He was very healthy with no allergy signs throughout this period.

The bottom line is that you can source the food through bulk purchase, prepare it as necessary, and freeze for feeding.

OFF-TOPIC -> Has anyone gone to the "similar topics" post below (Easy cheap way to clean your dogs teeth)? It's interesting and funny. Anyway, I am starting to love this new feature, because it allows me to see some blasts from the past or new information that was posted a long time ago. Enjoy.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Thank you Michael. Your tip is very helpful. Thank you for pointing out you removed the bones before cooking. I am really going to give this a go.

Here’s a question that I think has been answered but my brain has seems to have lost.... how freq can I switch between kibble and raw? I ask because I have a new 70 lbs bag of kibble and want to start raw soon. Don’t want to waste the kibble.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 pm
Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:08 pm also, start with chicken its the easiest to digest.
Steve mentioned chicken backs and leg quarters. Do your dogs like those too?
HA Mine love anything, remember too NO COOKED BONES
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

centrop67 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:09 pm

OFF-TOPIC -> Has anyone gone to the "similar topics" post below (Easy cheap way to clean your dogs teeth)? It's interesting and funny. Anyway, I am starting to love this new feature, because it allows me to see some blasts from the past or new information that was posted a long time ago. Enjoy.
Yes! I saw that the other day, its very good.
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Raw diet info sheet
Attachments
Starting a Prey Model Raw Diet.pdf
Raw diet
(105.09 KiB) Downloaded 481 times
ImageImage