When to Give Free Reign of House?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Flaro1522
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just purchased a Dutch Shepherd puppy and named him Murphy. He is 6 months old. I am formerly the owner of an Australian Shepherd. I live in the Chicagoland area. I am a high school teacher and coach.

When to Give Free Reign of House?

Post by Flaro1522 »

Hi All

At what age did you give your DS free reign of the house and ditch the crate? My guy is a year old and I in no way trust him enough to leave the house while not crated. All the stuff that makes me crack up at him are the same reasons why I feel my house would be destroyed if I ran to the grocery store and back if I left him uncrated.

Any tips for how to help with this transition would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: When to Give Free Reign of House?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

its not an age thing, its a trust thing. my dogs all were, and I tell other people I work to keep the dogs on a long line at all times until they know the rules of the house.

My girls are crated ALWAYS when I go out, except for the 5 or 10 minutes to take the kids to the bus or to run to the garage. but other wise they are crated.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

My female is pretty low energy. I can leave her for a few hours. I leave the crate open and she normally just hands out in there anyway. But it took a good bit to get her there. Lisa's on point with the trust thing. It had far less to do with age.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Wes Thomas
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a first time DS owner... And now a lifetime owner of the breed. I have Karma.. she's almost 2 now and is incredible. Great protection dog for my family and the most athletic dog I've ever witnessed.

Post by Wes Thomas »

Karma was around a year old. Now she's never crated unless we are traveling somewhere or she's at the trainers house. I was nervous at first about leaving her unattended but my wife insisted. My wife said "how is she going to protect me while you are out of town if she's in her kennel?" So she's limited to the hardwood floors only but has had 0 problems..
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Ill regress. Let me say that when Thalie was younger, she had free reign of the house. We never though about it, we just trusted her. When I moved to my current house. that went down the crapper. Mostly because she was a bit older, I hardly left her home and she developed separation anxiety, wich they do as they age.

Sadie probably would be fine, She had escaped from her crate a few times and nothing was damaged, but I do not feel its fair to leave one out and one in. Bassets are just naughty so she is crated.
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

what you can do, is, leave him for a minute, go outside and peek in a window. Then do that for a while. Maybe have some safe toys for him, leave some of your clothes out for him to lay on. Then increase that time to 5 minutes, while you look in the window. Hopefully your neighbors know you or you will have a visit from the Po Po ( Dont tell Joxgirl' hubby) If he is fine with 5 minutes, increase it until you see fluf flying around the house, then youll know it was too long. :wynar:
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Never mind. En just chewed the zipper off off my only good coat.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

"Baby" steps ;)

Start by baby proofing the house. Remove all temptations. Don't leave shoes, clothes, or anything that smells like you laying around the house. Paper towels, rags, or any small chewables need to go up and out of the way.

Close doors to all the bedrooms, bathrooms, and any other rooms to the house.

We started Radar and Leela overnight while we were still in the house.

When you're ready to start leaving the house, only do it for short periods at first.

Even today, both Radar and Leela get a treat blitz every time we leave.

DO NOT GET RID OF THE CRATE :wtg:

Leave it where it is now.

When Radar and Leela sense us leaving, they go to their crates and lay down. Leave the crate open all the time, so it's a safe space all the time. Don't use it as punishment.

Leave at least one toy or chewable that is okay for him unattended (That is, he won't chew it into tiny pieces and possibly choke).

Don't ever leave him alone for more than 8-9 hours. Make arrangements for someone to let him outside if you can't. I am sure that someone will respond that even this is too long, but it works for us. You may find a length of time that is shorter before bad stuff happens, so pay attention.

When returning, keep the excitement at a minimum. Don't make a big deal about it. I pretty much ignore the dogs the first few minutes after I return, and only give them attention when they are calm. This is really hard to do, but it is important.

Don't punish him for things that happen when you're gone. He won't understand.

If it doesn't work, start over after a period of time.

Good luck.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:38 am Never mind. En just chewed the zipper off off my only good coat.
:pint: :pint:
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:32 pm
TimL_168 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:38 am Never mind. En just chewed the zipper off off my only good coat.
:pint: :pint:
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

:wynar: :wynar:

Now THIS photo needs to be on the cover !!!

The face is so perfect !!!
ImageImage
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

I started working with Xander around 8 months old leaving him out of the crate. I bought an internet camera that I can view from my phone. It has audio on it. I would put him in the room with the camera and leave the house. At first I would just go outside and eventually built up to going to the store and running errands. I could watch him on the camera and keep an eye on him. It gave me piece of mind to see what he was doing. If it looked like he was up to no good I’d turn on the audio and tell him to “leave it”. It was kind of funny because he’d look at the camera like “ where are you and how did you know what I was doing”. He actually did really good and never destroyed anything. I think I got lucky with him. He stays in the house as long as I need him to and doesn’t bother anything. It took a month or so to build up to a couple hours. He did fine but I took it slow and gradually built him up to basically being alone 4 or 5 hours if needed.
Karen & Xander
Wes Thomas
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a first time DS owner... And now a lifetime owner of the breed. I have Karma.. she's almost 2 now and is incredible. Great protection dog for my family and the most athletic dog I've ever witnessed.

Post by Wes Thomas »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:35 pm increase it until you see fluf flying around the house, then youll know it was too long. :wynar:
Lol hilarious :DSangel:
MckennaV_90265
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New to Dutch Shepherds, previous experience with Malinois.

Post by MckennaV_90265 »

Absolutely a trust thing! Ridge is 5 months, fully potty trained and not at all destructive, I can leave the house with him uncrated for hours at a time and the only thing that will be destroyed when I come back is his bones. He's only crated at night now, and thats just so he doesn't decide he wants to snuggle at 3 AM, or play with the other dogs and cat.
MckennaV
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Wes Thomas wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:44 pm Karma was around a year old. Now she's never crated unless we are traveling somewhere or she's at the trainers house. I was nervous at first about leaving her unattended but my wife insisted. My wife said "how is she going to protect me while you are out of town if she's in her kennel?" So she's limited to the hardwood floors only but has had 0 problems..
I would love to dream that this might happen, but it’s a dream I don’t dare to dream.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Wes Thomas wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:44 pm Karma was around a year old. Now she's never crated unless we are traveling somewhere or she's at the trainers house. I was nervous at first about leaving her unattended but my wife insisted. My wife said "how is she going to protect me while you are out of town if she's in her kennel?" So she's limited to the hardwood floors only but has had 0 problems..
I would love to dream that this might happen, but it’s a dream I don’t dare to dream.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:32 pm Ill regress. Let me say that when Thalie was younger, she had free reign of the house. We never though about it, we just trusted her. When I moved to my current house. that went down the crapper.
:lol:
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:35 pm what you can do, is, leave him for a minute, go outside and peek in a window. Then do that for a while. Maybe have some safe toys for him, leave some of your clothes out for him to lay on. Then increase that time to 5 minutes, while you look in the window. Hopefully your neighbors know you or you will have a visit from the Po Po ( Dont tell Joxgirl' hubby) If he is fine with 5 minutes, increase it until you see fluf flying around the house, then youll know it was too long. :wynar:
Ha ha ha ha ha. He’s says that would look very Suspicious. :eek:
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

:eek: :wynar: :wynar: :violin:
Soooooooo about how long was she alone for exactly????
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:59 pm :wynar: :wynar:

Now THIS photo needs to be on the cover !!!

The face is so perfect !!!
I agree. Was it a real photo or photoshopped???? Can Michael just close his eyes long enough for us to sneak it in the contest? Maybe we can all pass his a round of that bottle..... :pals: :lmao:
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG