Please help

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Kaliag
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 1st time DS owner named Brodie, born 12/2017. We live in Angleton, TX.

Please help

Post by Kaliag »

I posted some of this as a reply on another post regarding some aggressive issues someone was having with her Dutchie puppy. Every post I’ve seen regarding ‘behavioral issues’ has been answered with getting a trainer. I’m going to apologize in advance for the lengthy post.
Brodie was born 12/27 and we got him 02/23, which was a Friday. That weekend he was just awesome with us but showed some aggressive behavior with my son (he’s 28), ex son in law and worse, my 5 year old grandson. Now let me back up a little. When the kiddos were young we had a GSD named Bo. Although he didn’t like anyone that wasn’t immediate family, he was an amazing dog, especially with the kids.
A friend of the husband was having to find a home for his 6 month DS due to relocating for work. We recently lost our Boxers due to age and decided we wanted another dog (him more than me). The DS fell through so we decided we still wanted to get a Dutchie. I can’t tell you the amount of research I did on the breed. So much so the husband was getting irritated with me-lol. Prior to the husband’s friend having one, I had never even heard or seen them.
So here comes Brodie, the cutest little guy I have seen. The Monday after we got him, after the aggressive behavior, I called the breeder to return him. He gave me some really good advice, one being to really watch him around kids until he’s about 6 months.
I have really worked with him A LOT. I can’t believe how smart he is and how fast he learns for being so young. EXCEPT the aggressive behavior with Karter, my grandson. I have Karter throw his ball with him and give him treats (I supervise all this) and love on him like we do. Yesterday was especially bad. So bad I started crying. Now mind you, Karter is very much an animal lover and is very good with them. At home he has a Healer and a Healer/Pit mix. So it’s not that he is doing anything wrong. THAT’s what bothers me so much. He’s not picking at him, teasing him or any of that. I can see any dog being aggressive if a child was to do those things.
So here’s what this novella of a post is about. Is this behavior going to go away? Brodie is going to see a trainer this next week. Someone who is familiar with Dutchies, not petco or pet smart. We have 6 small grandchildren, 5 and under. I don’t want to kennel him ever time they come over. Worse yet, I don’t want to have to get rid of him because he has bit one so bad he’s caused a bad injury. I’m so torn right now because I absolutely LOVE this little guy. But this is behavior that is intolerable. I’ve read how good they are with kids and other animals. I’m kind of lost.
Kalia and Brodie
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Re: Please help

Post by Joxgirl »

Don’t give up. There are better people on here than me to offer advice. Of course the trainer is key. You are already headed in the right direction. Best of luck to you.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Not liking anyone other than immediate family is pretty normal. They are not the pack.

The pup should be on a leash attached to the main human at ALL times. This way the human in charge has control of the put at ALL times. I would NOT have a young child play with the pup. The adult humans should be doing all of the training and playing. If your Grand son is not at the house often, see if he can spend as much time there so the pup knows he is part of the pack, but do not let your grand son play or feed the pup, just let him be around.

I understand that Karter loves animals and I am sure he is respectful but he is still only 5. It is more important to work with the pup on his manners and his place in the house and the rules than to allow Karter to play with the pup.

A trainer is a must, I know you had everyone tell you that, but you do need one. And a trainer that KNOWS this type of dog, it can't be just any trainer. And you should go as much as you have time and money.

If you have a few or all of the grand kids over, I would crate the pup, that is just way too much stimulation for him to handle.

This breed is meant for tough work, police work, bite work, hard work and to go all day. They are not really meant to be a family dog.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Kaliag
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 1st time DS owner named Brodie, born 12/2017. We live in Angleton, TX.

Post by Kaliag »

Thank you for your reply. And just to clarify, I know I need to get a trainer. I hope it didn’t sound like I didn’t want to hear that-lol. I just meant ‘in addition to getting one.....’
We’ve had Boxers for the last 15 years. The breeds are like night and day, yin and yang, peas and carrots (gag)-lol. But I completely understand what you’re saying. None of the grandkids live with us so it appears he will need to be kenneled when they are here. Karter is the one that stays with us most often so if he’s like that with him, he will be like that with the others, possibly worse.
Kalia and Brodie
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

When I first got En, I put her up in her crate in my bedroom when my nieces and nephews came over. Over the past year, we've been able to get them all socialized together. I still MUST keep an eye on Endeavor; she changes her attitude the second the kids start horseing around.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Kaliag wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:48 pm Thank you for your reply. And just to clarify, I know I need to get a trainer. I hope it didn’t sound like I didn’t want to hear that-lol. I just meant ‘in addition to getting one.....’
We’ve had Boxers for the last 15 years. The breeds are like night and day, yin and yang, peas and carrots (gag)-lol. But I completely understand what you’re saying. None of the grandkids live with us so it appears he will need to be kenneled when they are here. Karter is the one that stays with us most often so if he’s like that with him, he will be like that with the others, possibly worse.
Where are you located
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Kaliag wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:48 pm Thank you for your reply. And just to clarify, I know I need to get a trainer. I hope it didn’t sound like I didn’t want to hear that-lol.

I understand where you are coming from, thats the problem with FB, you will get a gazillion replies and all different, and when in a situation like that, I usually just reply " get a trainer" When the comments get to be so many, I personally find it useless. That is why I still love forums, it is so much more personal and we can "talk".

I just meant ‘in addition to getting one.....’
Possibly, My kids are tweens and they have a few friends over, and my Sadie who is 8, and has a VERY HIGH drive, I still have to put her on a leash sometimes. But when she was a pup, I didnt train her as much as I should, I have a background in Rings sport.

There is one friend that after many many times of coming over, Sadie accepted.

Even with in this breed it can be night and day depending on drive, that is why it is hard to read on FB of others who are fine in the family unit, plus most of the dogs there are mixes. But my Thalie and Sadie are night and day. Thalie is very low prey drive but was so great at Ring Sport, but she didnt have the Hard crazy bite that the guys with the high testosterone wanted :player: but she beat most of them on her accuracy of out since she did not get "lost " in the pleasure of the bite. My malinois was crazy though.

really, though, anyone who gets a DS, especially a pure one should get a trainer asap.

But I am glad you are here so we can help you best until you get yourself situated with one.
ImageImage
Kaliag
Puppy

Post by Kaliag »

I haven’t figured out how to reply to a certain posts on here so please bare with me. @Steve Gossmeyer, I live in Angleton, TX. It’s a small town about 45 miles south of Houston. We bought Brodie from Sentry K9, which is located in Spring, TX.
@Dutchringgirl, thank you so much for everything so far. He’s such an awesome lil’ guy and loved so much. Like you said he’s just not going to be able to interact with the kiddos, which is sad.
Kalia and Brodie
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

hit the Quote button
dsfreplyphoto.jpg
dsfreplyphoto.jpg (42.75 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Kaliag wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:14 pm I haven’t figured out how to reply to a certain posts on here so please bare with me. @Steve Gossmeyer, I live in Angleton, TX. It’s a small town about 45 miles south of Houston. We bought Brodie from Sentry K9, which is located in Spring, TX.
@Dutchringgirl, thank you so much for everything so far. He’s such an awesome lil’ guy and loved so much. Like you said he’s just not going to be able to interact with the kiddos, which is sad.
He should be kept separate for now, but once he gets older and mature, then they could play
ImageImage
Kaliag
Puppy

Post by Kaliag »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:30 am
Kaliag wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:48 pm Thank you for your reply. And just to clarify, I know I need to get a trainer. I hope it didn’t sound like I didn’t want to hear that-lol. I just meant ‘in addition to getting one.....’
Where are you located
I live in Angleton, Tx. It’s about 45 miles south of Houston
Kalia and Brodie