Collection of interesting links

General issues of training/education
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Collection of interesting links

Post by TimL_168 »

I'm really considering trying to move into training professionally, but I have a very long way to go. I've had great success training my own dogs throughout my years, but I'm nowhere near being in any position to help others with their dogs. So, while poking around on the interweb-net thingie , I happened across this page. I only followed a few of the links, but they seemed like they would be pretty useful.

http://mastersinpsychologyguide.com/art ... -resources
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Re: Collection of interesting links

Post by Joxgirl »

Tim, no offense, but how long have you been on this forum? You should have this already ingraved in your brain. You know the first rule is
#1 get a trainer..... to become a trainer, you need to be trained. :wtg:
#2 call Steve.... we always point to Steve :phone:
#3 have a drink with Lisa. She knows what a crazy job training is and knows you will need lots of .... :pint:

Really, I think it’s great!!!! Go for it.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I mostly train horses and their humans now. I was in Ring sport for many years and wish I had stayed in the dog sport but things went on at that time and ..........well........I tried to get back in to dog training regular dogs and people and :eek: :eek:

there are no clubs around me and now I am years out of training. If you are going to train in a sport then great ! that is where the fun is and you will have a better time, I think, but regular people drive me nuts. I know horse people are nuts too but I guess I am used to them and have been in the business all of my life.

people now seem to be certificate happy, no way am I going to fork out $$ to pay for a piece of paper just to show people I know what I am doing. Plus, I have met plenty of people who have that piece of paper, and My Sadie could do a better job of teaching.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:33 am Tim, no offense, but how long have you been on this forum? You should have this already ingraved in your brain. You know the first rule is
#3 have a drink with Lisa. She knows what a crazy job training is and knows you will need lots of .... :pint:

:lol: :lol: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint:
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Michael, you need to increase the # of smiles we can have :mrgreen:
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

There's a limit?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

centrop67 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:30 am There's a limit?
yes, 10
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

:protest: :hug: :loco: :lala: Increase the smilies!!!!!!!!
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Joxgirl wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:33 am Tim, no offense, but how long have you been on this forum? You should have this already ingraved in your brain. You know the first rule is

Thanks girl! Feel free to get in touch with me if you need help or suggestions... honestly the pet dog world isn't easy... you see so much shit you've never even thought of... not to mention you'll have easy going clients and then youll end up with clients that are a super pain in the ass... it's something that honestly takes a lot of patience and experience... I'd honestly do an apprentiseship with someone that's got a ton of experience before you start charging money for training... training your dogs vs training for someone else is a whole different game
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Love you Steve.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Joxgirl wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:48 am Love you Steve.
:DSlove: :DSlove: :DSlove:
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:41 am

Thanks girl! Feel free to get in touch with me if you need help or suggestions... honestly the pet dog world isn't easy... you see so much shit you've never even thought of... not to mention you'll have easy going clients and then youll end up with clients that are a super pain in the ass... it's something that honestly takes a lot of patience and experience... I'd honestly do an apprentiseship with someone that's got a ton of experience before you start charging money for training... training your dogs vs training for someone else is a whole different game
I'm a carpenter in the service industry. I build kitchens and baths. Trust me...I KNOW ALL about the wide range of client personalities! And working under someone with good history is something I'd absolutely aim to do! I'm just looking for something that I'm good at that's easier on my decrepit body. Lol.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Steve: I knew a guy that bragged repeatedly about how he shot his GSD because it was running around on the farm and wouldn't listen to him. I've worked in houses where people worship their morbidly obese Labradors...also worked for a client that does flyball with her collies. I've seen so much without even scraping the surface!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

TimL_168 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:02 pm Steve: I knew a guy that bragged repeatedly about how he shot his GSD because it was running around on the farm and wouldn't listen to him.
:eek: :evil: Was this in Texas? I swear that’s the kind of crap I hear about that originates from that state. Makes me so angry!
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

I can’t even imagine shooting my dog. Sick.

Oh Tim those people who have stuff done to their house can get really looney. My Stepdad is a carpenter and does the same as you and other stuff. The craziest ideas come and and they want it done overnight for nothing.
Last edited by Joxgirl on Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

these people are narcissist, they have these dogs to look good and show off, then show off how cool they are by doing stupid stuff like this.. they are not animal people, they are not people
ImageImage