BARF

Dietary/feeding issues
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

BARF

Post by centrop67 »

Biologically Appropriate Raw Food

I just came across this article about switching to a raw diet, and I thought it would be beneficial to share.

So You Want to Get Your Dog on a Raw-Foot Diet
Wes Siler wrote:So I started reading up on how to create a complete diet on my own, at home. A Facebook post asking for help led to a friend suggesting a book by Kymythy Schultze, Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats.

Bowie and Wiley have been eating a totally raw diet, with zero kibble, for a month now. That’s not very long, but both dogs are visibly leaner and have more energy throughout the day. The quality of both their coats has improved from already excellent to totally flawless. Most importantly, Wiley has had absolutely zero skin problems of any kind. His usual hot-spot area is fully furred and not itchy. His skin isn’t dry or flaky at all.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Re: BARF

Post by Duke »

Duke has been on a fully raw diet for at least 9 months. One thing I'll never know is if his sudden burst of power and energy had come from the diet or maturity when he turned about 14 months in age.

Overall I feel happier about what he's eating, i never wonder if he's still hungry after a meal, he poo's on average once a day not up to three times like before, and seems to drink considerably less water, perhaps because the food actually has moisture.

I'd encourage anybody interested in a BARF diet to watched "Pet Fooled" on Netflix.

There are some excellent groups on Facebook with very active admins that one could join to learn from people with first hand experience.

I'd recommend "Raw Feeding University (RFU)"
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I have been on / off with the raw diet but I also have noticed Thalie drinks much less water since I put her back on raw last fall.

I also follow Planet Paws on Face book, they have recopies and good articles on raw. They are big on fighting cancer with raw
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

My husband won’t support me going raw with Rogue with talking about the cons and possible illness. I’ve been using more real food with her though. He’s fine with cooked meat. I do give her raw bits of meat before I cook it for us. I’m not a big meat eater but I know that my dog should be.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Has anyone read that book recommended above?
I read the article you shared Michael. I’m still interested in raw diets.
I will try to check out Planet Paws and Pet fooled.
Where do I find RFU?
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Post by Duke »

Joxgirl wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:30 am
Where do I find RFU?
I do understand your husband's concern to transition. You and your family do travel a lot which could make it difficult to keep up with unless you portion it and keep it In a cooler during your trip, or while on trips you can feed freeze dried raw.

Personally, as you suggested our dogs do need meat regardless of what we choose to eat. I mean, they're carnivores.

Within facebook search bar, try typing what I have written within the quotes on my previous post.

Another group is Raw Feeding 101, the creator put together a whole online course and it discusses transitioning, buying, feeding...

RFU also has a pretty good files tab where you can reference pinned files.
Duke
Training Dog

Post by Duke »

Joxgirl wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:15 am My husband won’t support me going raw with Rogue with talking about the cons and possible illness. I’ve been using more real food with her though. He’s fine with cooked meat.
What carnivores that you know of cook their meals before eating? Hawks, falcons, eagles, fox, coyote and many more eat good ol' raw bone and all.

They're not wolves I get it, commercial pet foods have been around all of 100 years, what did domesticated and wild dogs eat before that?
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

For many years I wondered when and why and how we could even think that kibble is better than real food. Where did the idea to not switch brands come from and the discouragement of feeding anything other than that ugly brown stuff? I know the answer and it’s not to benefit our dogs. Greed of a dog food company.
I also agree about the raw diet because, let’s be real, it’s what they were designed to do. His big concern is the possibility of illness because we cook out the bad bacteria. Ugh. I have the same fear but I’m more willing to give it a try.
As for traveling, since it’s now just between houses we can buy and freeze or refrigerate food when we arrive if we feed her grocery store raw foods.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Duke
Training Dog

Post by Duke »

Joxgirl wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:00 pm For many years I wondered when and why and how we could even think that kibble is better than real food. Where did the idea to not switch brands come from and the discouragement of feeding anything other than that ugly brown stuff? I know the answer and it’s not to benefit our dogs. Greed of a dog food company.
I also agree about the raw diet because, let’s be real, it’s what they were designed to do. His big concern is the possibility of illness because we cook out the bad bacteria. Ugh. I have the same fear but I’m more willing to give it a try.
As for traveling, since it’s now just between houses we can buy and freeze or refrigerate food when we arrive if we feed her grocery store raw foods.
Duke eats grocery store raw meat, there's a lot of research suggesting that their bodies are able to digest raw food.

I won't pretend to be an expert, but to my knowledge the PH levels are much more acidic, and their digest tract is much shorter.

Getting past the idea of having them eating and swallowing raw bone is the harder idea, to my understanding, dogs can digest raw bone but NOT cooked bone, as cooking it will change the consistency of the bone and also allow it to chip and crack.

A huge advocate of the raw diet is Dr. Karen Becker, I'm sure if you just look her up on YouTube you can learn A lot l, she is also featured on Pet Fooled.
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Thanks Keith. I appreciate your comment. What I need to do is watch that Netflix documentary and then watch it with my husband.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:00 pm For many years I wondered when and why and how we could even think that kibble is better than real food.
Convenience. Just like the microwave and tv dinners. It takes me time to make Thalies food but knowing that she is getting the best is good for me, but plenty of people do not want to take the time and they dont think enough of their dogs to feed raw. No disrespect to the hard working people, though who feed top quality grain free food. My other two get Orajen. But I mean the regular people who have dogs and no clue.

Did you check out planet paws on FB? they have good recipes.
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:11 pm
Joxgirl wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:00 pm For many years I wondered when and why and how we could even think that kibble is better than real food.
Convenience. Just like the microwave and tv dinners. It takes me time to make Thalies food but knowing that she is getting the best is good for me, but plenty of people do not want to take the time and they dont think enough of their dogs to feed raw. No disrespect to the hard working people, though who feed top quality grain free food. My other two get Orajen. But I mean the regular people who have dogs and no clue.

Did you check out planet paws on FB? they have good recipes.

I will check out planet paws today.
We try our best to cook our meals from scratch. If we include the dogs meals, just another meal to make morning and night. Really what’s more important than good food to fuel our bodies? I am including my dogs in that statement.
Ideally I would prefer to feed raw. I do add in whole food now. I would like to have some kibble on hand for emergency, but really food is food and we have food supply here for emergency so I could just feed them that with us if need be.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Duke
Training Dog

Post by Duke »

I'm sure you could get away with feeding kibble and raw, some don't suggest it because the digestive process is different for each. Others will argue that some raw is better than no raw
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:43 pm

I will check out planet paws today.
We try our best to cook our meals from scratch. If we include the dogs meals, just another meal to make morning and night. Really what’s more important than good food to fuel our bodies? I am including my dogs in that statement.
Ideally I would prefer to feed raw. I do add in whole food now. I would like to have some kibble on hand for emergency, but really food is food and we have food supply here for emergency so I could just feed them that with us if need be.
when you cook your meals, just dont cook some and give it to her. I like the kibble for emergencies too and when I go away, its easy.
ImageImage
Duke
Training Dog

Post by Duke »

Dogs don't need cooked meals and there are some serious health risks by just preparing them a plate of what you cooked for yourself and your family. Odds are you've added seasoning, maybe salt, pepper. These things are terrible for them as far as I know.

And you probably eat meat that costs greater than 4.99/lb and Rogue most likely would need 2lbs/day depending on her weight, including organ meat and bone that I'm sure you're not eating lol.

We strive to feed on average $1.99/lb or less since he eats just over 2 pounds a day
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:59 pm
when you cook your meals, just dont cook some and give it to her. I like the kibble for emergencies too and when I go away, its easy.
This is smart. Last night she ate Brussel sprouts raw. She gobbled them up. Cheap treat. No gas that I’m aware of. She also had the rib eye steak we enjoyed but it was cooked. I should have cut her off a chunk.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Duke wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:34 pm
Dogs don't need cooked meals and there are some serious health risks by just preparing them a plate of what you cooked for yourself and your family. Odds are you've added seasoning, maybe salt, pepper. These things are terrible for them as far as I know.

And you probably eat meat that costs greater than 4.99/lb and Rogue most likely would need 2lbs/day depending on her weight, including organ meat and bone that I'm sure you're not eating lol.

We strive to feed on average $1.99/lb or less since he eats just over 2 pounds a day
What are you picking up at the store? Liver? Hearts? Ground beef?

I did buy canned sardines. My store didn’t have any smelt or mackerel. I am pretty sure Lisa recommended those back a few months ago. She loved the fish.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Planet Paws   Videos.png
Planet Paws Videos.png (219.3 KiB) Viewed 8740 times
I hate fish but its good for the dogs, but I dont feed it, i dont know where it comes from and between the high mercury and if its safe and sustainable, i just get other things. For meat go for lean and ground, its cheaper and lean is better for them.
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

This sounds good. I will make up a batch. Rogue will love it. Thanks for the recipe.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
sysyphus
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Foxy

Post by sysyphus »

Foxy loves her green tripe. Yum. 😁