Spaying vs not

GypsyTheDS
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Me n my girls, Gypsy and Nala, live in Georgia. Gypsy was found as a neglected and abused stray. A Dutch Shepherd mix. She is now healthy and happy as part of our family. Nala came to us from a Craigslist ad at a year old. A tall and lanky German Shepherd/lab mix.

Spaying vs not

Post by GypsyTheDS »

Hi all. I was speaking to a couple that have 2 female DSs and they told me whatever i did NOT to spay my girl. they said it messed their girls up and made them gain much unwanted weight. They said the one mistake they did was spaying them. Not only that but it really "messed" with them. Opinions???
Aimee, Gypsy (DS) & Nala (GSD/lab)
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Spaying vs not

Post by TimL_168 »

From everything I've read, it doesn't effect working drives or ability. It will lead to issues precipitating from hormone imbalance. There are alternatives to complete hysterectomy that will negate that imbalance.
However, look up pyometra. Search on here for it, and poke around on the interwebs. It's a real concern for intact females. To me at least.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
montecarlogirl87
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: dogs, cats, fish, birds, horses, llamas... I've worked with them all :)

Post by montecarlogirl87 »

have owned 4 spayed dogs (and 2 spayed cats), best friend has had 3 thru the years... never had complications, any weight gain was from diet (had someone staying with us that was heavy handed with treats, surprise surprise, they've lost weight since she moved out) and never considered them 'messed up'
Tareena and Shylah and Shota - Orlando, FL
GypsyTheDS
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Me n my girls, Gypsy and Nala, live in Georgia. Gypsy was found as a neglected and abused stray. A Dutch Shepherd mix. She is now healthy and happy as part of our family. Nala came to us from a Craigslist ad at a year old. A tall and lanky German Shepherd/lab mix.

Post by GypsyTheDS »

:twocents: Maybe thats what she meant (hormone imbalance) Ive always spayed my dogs and have never had any regrets out of it. It just sounded that the breed in particular got thrown off by the spay. That was my main concern. Thank you so much for your guys input. :)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I have had female dogs all of my life and spayed every one of them and have had no problems what so ever.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
GypsyTheDS
Puppy

Post by GypsyTheDS »

Thank you all for your input. I have decided to spay her
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Did you have her get a complete hysterectomy or partial?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
GypsyTheDS
Puppy

Post by GypsyTheDS »

Complete. I guess i didn't really look into the partial. I was concerned about her hormones going wacko from some "advice" I got from another DS owner. But everybody that commented here helped me solve my concerns. :) No change in her at all. Still the same crazy dog as before. Lol.
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

That’s great. What’s important is that the dog is healthy.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

I didn’t know that partial was an option.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
GypsyTheDS
Puppy

Post by GypsyTheDS »

I guess not everywhere does it. I wasn't aware either. Learn something new every day. :)
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

I think a lot has to what a vet wants to do. I don’t see many vets as being forth coming with what is truest needed or could be offered. Sad because many of us pay cash for the procedures and are willing to pay for them. It would be nice to know what all
The options are. Glad we have this place so we can at least discuss things here.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
GypsyTheDS
Puppy

Post by GypsyTheDS »

For me this forum has been a big help. Giving me info on things I could do differently or just new things.