How to make time pass faster?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
dachslys
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Norwegian

How to make time pass faster?

Post by dachslys »

Hey guys!

I'm getting my first dutch shepherd in 2020 and Im so excited! I have been planning for the puppy for years and things are really coming together in terms of breeder and parent dogs.

As mentioned, I have already been waiting for years to get this puppy, and there still is years to wait. The waiting is killing me.
So I wanted to ask you guys if you have any suggestions to make time move faster? And what "in depth" preparations can I do? I have already been looking at names, decided which sports and I will train the dog within and wrote a list for what to buy. I have decided which club to train with and which clubs to join.

My fingers are itching to start with my future puppy, but I just have to be strong until I finish my college university.

Next thing I was thinking on researching was food and supplements etc.

Thanks for your suggestions and inputs :DScool:
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: How to make time pass faster?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Is there a trainer you can go with with that trains DS?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Maybe go work/help with a trainer to see things in action first hand and develop the proper techniques before your pup comes home.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Yea I would start showing up to the club meetings and watch if they will allow you and just absorb as much info and experience as you can.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

I would also recommend reading Team Dog by Mike Ritland (I also highly recommend listening to his two Team Dog oriented pod cast episodes, just look up Mike Drop) and Don’t Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor. Get an idea of how you want the first few months of your pups time with you to be shaped. There are definitely things I wish I had known/done differently when Henry first came along to help develop that trust/bond a little more efficiently.
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together