Just Adopted

For our new members to introduce themselves
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Just Adopted

Post by ladyjubilee »

I just adopted a beautiful, sweet, energetic girl (estimated to be 3 years old; she had been a stray).....and had no clue what a Dutch Shepherd was. She is such a cutie, and is catching on quickly to our house "rules". I've always had Dalmatians, including one that was fear aggressive. So far, I find Bramble a little more laid back than a Dal, but after reading on the forum I'm concerned. She's active, but not frenetic. Breed doesn't really matter to me, other than as a personality indicator. The shelter said they declared her a Dutch Shepherd just by looking at a chart; I reached out to a DS rescue and they confirmed she is most likely either a DS or a Ds mix.

The issue is that I have a special needs child. I can't have a truly aggressive dog. And I'm kind of confused, the breed information indicates they are good family dogs, and the rescue person seems to think she'd be a good dog. So far, she has been wonderful. She has adapted well to my son (who is very unpredictable), and settled in with the 16-18 year old terrier mix (after one dominance spat initiated by the terrier), she loves people, is basically a fantastic dog.

I just have concerns that the other shoe will drop. I can't figure out which is true: are DS great dogs who can even be companion dogs or are they only capable of being guard dogs? Does it very by individual?

Eta:photo.
Attachments
WIN_20181123_20_15_27_Pro (2).jpg
WIN_20181123_20_15_27_Pro (2).jpg (809.31 KiB) Viewed 4936 times
Last edited by ladyjubilee on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Just Adopted

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Do you have pictures? DS is a protection dog, not really a family dog, not to scare you though. Most mixes turn out to be good family dogs. I have two ( one passed) DS and Thalie ( who passed) was a lower drive DS and was a wonderful family dog, My Sadie , who is now 9 is a good family dog, but she does not like snuggles. She is three so she is done with her growing and figuring out where she is in the world. For now, keep her with you at all times and teach her the rules of the house, work on obedience.

Does your son make quick moves? How old is your son? Depending on what your son does and how he acts, will tell how the dog will react. For now, do not react if your son does something that may alarm your dog. Act normal, dont baby talk to the dog. If your son does something that alarms the dog, take the dog to another room with another human, act normal.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

My son is 14. He stomps, screams and hits me. So far, I've just behaved as if this is normal, and Bramble has taken her cues from me. He does move quickly, and makes noises most people don't. The terrier views my son as 'his' human, which I think has help Bramble. I will try to load a picture.
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Yea looks to be some sort of mix but I would proceed with caution if you believe it is a DS. If your son makes those gestures, noises and hits you, I’m not sure how much I would chance that a DS will not react in a defensive manner should he hit the dog. They’re not really ones to cower down. If they don’t like something you’re doing they’ll let you know for sure.

Not saying that the dog couldn’t possibly help with your son as they are a loyal and protective breed. Just saying if not supervised that could create a real problem. And that’s with any child.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

TBH, this may not be a good match. I have had other mix working breeds as well, and even if I play fight with someone, they get upset. Your son is your first priority, I do not know the whole situation, but If you need to take care of your son and your son is doing what he does and you need to move quick or rush and get your son before something happens, and your dog reacts to protect one of you............. Children are a lot of work in any situation and you have a child who really needs all of your attention. YOu know what goes on in your house, spend some time thinking.
ImageImage
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

That's what I afraid the answer would be. My son always come first, which is how I got Bramble. I was at the shelter to get a Dal-mix....and discovered the mix was Pit Bull. I just couldn't take the risk. I thought Bram was some sort of Brindle Treeing Hound Mix until they said she was a Dutch Shepherd. But neither they nor I knew what that meant.

There is a training facility in our area that works with protective dog training. I don't want protective dog training, but I'm wondering if they could do an evaluation to see if she has those instincts. I would really hate to take her back to a kill shelter when all she has been is super sweet and has just been a great snuggle bunny.

I appreciate the help.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

if so far she has been very good, then maybe see how it goes. Even though they are protective dog trainers, they can see her and maybe have a good idea. Maybe they can do some exercises with her to see how she reacts? A protective dog trainer knows what to look for and how a protection dog should react and they could very well help you show her how not to react. Take her to this trainer and see how that goes.
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

I second what Lisa says. That trainer should be able to tell you everything you need to know.
Image Image
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

I have an appointment with a certified trainer on Wednesday for an evaluation. I really appreciate all the suggestions. Hopefully, with training we can keep her.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

I took her to the trainer today...and got great news on two fronts. It seems she is a Dutch Shepherd or a mix that looks and acts like one. But she is also super sweet and submissive. She is younger than three in both the vet and the trainers opinion (and mine too, she just acts younger than 3). The first piece of great news, is that the trainer feels with training she can be a great family dog. He said right now she is young enough she can be trained to be the dog we want since her starting personality is so great and she obviously loves people, but she must be trained and trained consistently. The second piece of news is that I called around to other trainers in our area and everyone said this trainer is "the" best in our area and they all highly recommended I use him--even one who also performs K9 training. I was impressed with him--and she seemed to really like him; I was glad to get the confirmations.

We did talk too about having my son at the trainings--not for him to train, but rather so that he is one of the distractions she learns to ignore when needed.

Now I just need to figure out my budget for the training, cause my sweet $10 dog could break the bank.

Seriously, though, I would like to express how grateful I am to the forum and the contributors. In my case, having access to the information here has more than likely truly averted a dangerous situation, and I appreciate it.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

ladyjubilee wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:27 am Seriously, though, I would like to express how grateful I am to the forum and the contributors. In my case, having access to the information here has more than likely truly averted a dangerous situation, and I appreciate it.
Thank you so much. I love to hear feedback like this. It makes my efforts to keep this site going all worthwhile.

:DSangel:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

This is an example of one of the greatest uses of this site.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

That’s awesome! Glad everything’s working out. :wtg:
Image Image
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

I don't see dutch shepherd... looks like a pit mix I have her for training actually they could be twins...
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Gorgeous dog. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. You are the type of human all dog humans should be. I hope all turns up well. My DS I got as a puppy. We snuggle, I lay on her, I can take her favorite ball from her teeth. She is not a fan when I get affection from my husband or daughter as she will bark when she sees this, but only bark. Rogue is now 21 months old.
They do need lots of exercise and training. Once you learn what you need to do, just stay with it. It’s not just we learned that we are done forever. But it doesn’t have to take long. 5 minutes a day a few times a day or more when you can. Lots of positive attitude. Check in with a trainer as needed. They are a great resource.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

It's been going far better than I thought possible. We're almost through on leash obedience, and then we start off leash. I now know in the early pictures she was a bit unsure, as now she keeps her ears up most of the time...and we now know she is much younger than 3. The vet, groomer and trainer all think she is less than a year now, which made her much younger then. I thought she was full grown....yet she's about an inch and a half taller already, and really filling out after her time as a stray.

She is super submissive, yet very smart, which has made training easy for her. The only training bumps have been mine.

We have also started the service training even though we haven't finished obedience -with the trainer's encouragement. We're practicing maintaining obedience at dog friendly places and it's gone ok.....at least until a dog comes near. She has naturally alerted to my son's migraines/events and we're building on those behaviors. She now sleeps with my son, as a result he is sleeping better.

My son has worked very hard at learning her (signed) commands. Recently, while she was off leash in the yard, he gave her the sit command. She held it and I told him to tell her (sign) free. She didn't move when I said the word, rather watched his hands and waited for him. Once he signed, she got up but waited until he did his good girl, which is basically touching her with his finger (not exactly high excitement.) But she was sooooo excited. She pranced around, seemingly proud her human had done it. ((I still don't get mom in either word or sign, but she gets sit free good girl.))

We do however see the DS behaviors quite a bit. She nearly went through the door when she felt the neighbor's malinois got too close to my son. She patrols the yard. Once she focuses on a "target", I have trouble breaking the focus. I believe the continued training will help.....at least I hope so. The trainer does think she will be about to handle service work at Disney in late fall.

But she really has been the perfect dog for us.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

This is a great update!!!!
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG