Hip Dysplasia

Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Re: Hip Dysplasia

Post by Sugars Mom »

I hope so too!
Sue (and Sugar)

vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

When was your appointment again? Hope things stay calm while you are waiting. :(
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Tuesday morning I drop Sadie off. She has been fine now :wtg: So I am hoping its just part of being a lanky doggie,
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Just dropped Sadie off at the vet and had a chance to talk to the vet. He thinks that its a partial torn ligament. I agree with that too. He suggested Chondroitin and Glucosamine. Ill know more later after the xrays
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Well......... Sadie has Hip Dysplasia.......... saw the xrays. The vet recommended just keeping her thin and well muscled and plenty of excersise, (that isnt a problem), and we can re-evaluate her in 9 months, unless it gets worse quicker, and go from there.

While Sadie was at the vet, Thalie was moping around the house letting out little whines, it was kind of cute that she missed Sadie. Although Im not sure if she missed her chewing on her leg though :dsdoubt:
ImageImage
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

So very sorry to hear this, I was praying that you would have better news for us. I have had a few HD+ dogs who did very well throughout their lives--hopefully she will be able to also.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

alspyce wrote:So very sorry to hear this, I was praying that you would have better news for us. I have had a few HD+ dogs who did very well throughout their lives--hopefully she will be able to also.
Thanks alot Chris, Thats good to hear that your dogs did well.
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Oh, I am so sorry to hear the news :cry:

Keep us posted on how she is doing.
Sue (and Sugar)

Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Dutchringgirl wrote:Well......... Sadie has Hip Dysplasia.......... saw the xrays.
Damn it Lisa, I am so sorry. Are the x-rays digital? I would be interested to see them just for morbid curiosity sake. I am going to follow up with the other 2 from that litter that we took in and see how they are. Also, I think it is warranted to let the "breeder" who turned them over to rescue know. :(
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

:( I was "hoping" it would just be soft tissue. How bad is it? Is it fairly obvious or is it mild and maybe a second opinion is warranted? Do you know for sure if that is what was causing the lameness and yelping? Did the vet rule out any secondary issues (I'm still stuck on soft tissue).
Choochi
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Hey Christie, oh, no worries, Ill ask the vet if they are or if there is a way to get them to you if not. I was thinking about that too to let the breeder know. It would be interesting to see how the other pups are from the litter too.

I saw the xrays, the "ball" has flat spots on the inside, the xray angle was straight down looking on her belly. Its obvious but dosnt look horrible. My thinking on the yelping is her leg is slipping straight out when she gets up, thats the only time I have heard her yelp. Im not going to go for a second opinion, I trust the vet and saw the xrays, my plan for her wasnt heavy duty work anyway just to go hiking and be our pal.

I ordered some Salmon oil and Syno Flex. I used to use Syno Flex stuff with the horses. Thalie would probably benefit too from some stuff.
ImageImage
Choochi
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.

Post by Choochi »

Surgery?
Choochi
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Surgery is a route to go later on if she gets really bad.
ImageImage
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Is the HD unilateral or bilateral? Not that it really matters---just curious. I know how heartbreaking this can be, try to keep your chin up and hope surgery won't be necessary.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

I'm so sorry to hear that. :( But it's good that you know so you can do everything you can to slow it down as much as possible.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

alspyce wrote:Is the HD unilateral or bilateral?
Bilateral, It is a touch worse in her left, hence the ouching only showing up on her left at the moment.

So far she is still acting and playing normal, not that this would change so quick but I am not letting their play get too crazy.
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Sorry to hear the diagnosis--for both you and Sadie. It's comforting, though, to know that she has a home with a caring, giving owner. Hugs to Sadie....
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thanks Sharon, thats sweet.
ImageImage
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

Oh, Lisa, I am sorry. I was so hoping that is was something a diet change could clear up. Give Sadie a big ole hug from us, and a hug for you, too.
Lauren from Western NC
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thanks Lauren :dshead:
ImageImage