Hip Dysplasia

alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Re: Hip Dysplasia

Post by alspyce »

I ordered some Salmon oil and Syno Flex. I used to use Syno Flex stuff with the horses. Thalie would probably benefit too from some stuff.[/quote]

Syn Flex is a good product but you may want to rethink it if you are going to start raw feeding with bones as a part of the diet. The joints give a natural source so be careful to not over feed it. Also-raw fish instead of oil?
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Syn Flex is a good product but you may want to rethink it if you are going to start raw feeding with bones as a part of the diet. The joints give a natural source so be careful to not over feed it. Also-raw fish instead of oil?
good tip. I just got the stuff today, I can just run it out and not use it anymore. Ive been reading all day ( kids home from school) about raw and really getting the hang of it now. Still stuck on the bone stuff but not as much as earlier.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Christie...

I stoped at the vet but cant get the pictures. Do you want to call them? Did you get in touch with the "breeder"? Siblings ?
ImageImage
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Dutchringgirl wrote:Christie...

I stoped at the vet but cant get the pictures. Do you want to call them? Did you get in touch with the "breeder"? Siblings ?
Its not that important that I see them. Like I said, its just morbid curiosity really. The "breeder" hasn't returned an email and I'm guessing she won't. Its sad cause I doubt it is the first or last time this will be an issue for her.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

If its hereditary, I wonder what the chances of the siblings having it, and if they have had other litters then its a good chance others have it. Its a shame.
ImageImage
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

I am so very sorry to hear this!! It makes me mad to think that careless breeding got this sweet pup and her loving home in this avoidable situation. Thanks for taking care of her.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

awww, thanks Judith. Sadie is such a sweetie pie. I am sad that she probably cant go mountain biking with me but we do go on shorter hikes during the week that she enjoys. Im just glad she and Thalie have a great bond and love each other ( although Thalie may not think so when she is getting her back leg chewed on my Sadie)
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

What about jumping with Displastic dogs? I have a pick up truck, a bit higher than normal. She seems to do sort of okay jumping in the cab, but the bed is a bit higher, During the warmer weather and when they are wet from swimming I like to put them in the bed ( I have the legal tie and harness). Should I get a ramp for Sadie? Its about a bit over 3 feet off the ground.
ImageImage
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

I think a ramp could be a good idea, espacilly for the jumping out/landing. Or are you able to carry her in and out?
Glad to read you take care of her ;)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

HA, there is no way I can pick her up :dsshock: I weigh 110 and she is 51. I have ramps that I had for ATV's I can put treads on the rungs and teach her how to walk up it .

nothing but the best for my girls :dssmile:
ImageImage
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

pet ramp.gif
I am using a ramp since my two black labs were 7 years old. They didn't really need at that point of time but I wanted to get them used to it when they are still well off. Can't make an old dog, wobbly on it's feet, walking up a thing like that. I was most concerned with their "wrists" jumping out of the SUV.

The ramp in the pic is from Solvit. http://www.americas-pet-store.com/produ ... age/2.html Unfortunately they don't make the ramp with the "waves" anymore. But I hogged two of them and when the sandpaper like surface gets torn up, I buy some new self stick safety treat on e-bay. My ramps are now over 6 years old and still going strong but light enough for me to handle.
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

hmm, i like that ramp. Having a ladder type ramp may be a problem later in life, or now if she should slip
ImageImage
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Dutchringgirl wrote:hmm, i like that ramp. Having a ladder type ramp may be a problem later in life, or now if she should slip
You could tie some old carpet on the ramp to make it better? Than you don't have to buy one...
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

I returned a ramp with carpet surface since my labs were kind of "sliding" down on it, didn't have a good grip and didn't feel safe.

Actually I use good 'ol duct tape to patch it until it is a complete goner. Doesn't look all that professional but my senior lab gets a good grip on it and doesn't slide.

The best solution is a mini van. I had one and took all the chairs and benches out, stuffed all the holes where the seats and benches latch into and laid outdoor carpet down. It was dog heaven, just one step up to get in.
Interior Back.JPG
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

WOW, that is sooooo clean!!! No way im posting a picture of my truck. I cant bring myself to getting a van though, I love having a truck, room enough for dogs, kids and bikes. Ill play with the ramp I have and see if I can make it work for her.
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Dutchringgirl wrote:WOW, that is sooooo clean!!! No way im posting a picture of my truck. .

LOL, you always make me laugh!!
Sue (and Sugar)

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sugars Mom wrote:

LOL, you always make me laugh!!

:dschick:

thanks !
ImageImage
Cooper
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a Dutch Shepherd

Post by Cooper »

Other than supplements... Try swimming. Works for athletes and really old people. Why wouldnt it work for a dog ?
Pass the dutchie, on the left handside !

Cooper..Is my lastname
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Cooper wrote:Other than supplements... Try swimming. Works for athletes and really old people. Why wouldnt it work for a dog ?
well.....Sadie dosnt think she can swim ! I do take them to the lake a few times a week and Thalie goes in my pool to swim, but I cant get Sadie in my pool yet and in the lake, she wont go in past where she can feel the ground.
ImageImage
Cooper
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a Dutch Shepherd

Post by Cooper »

That sucks... How old is she ?
My Great Dane didn't have HD but he had arthritis in his hips and spine.. It was hard to watch as well as physically. Cause having to lift a 200lb dog up of the ground wasn't fun.
Pass the dutchie, on the left handside !

Cooper..Is my lastname