Object Guard

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Object Guard

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Does anybody know where I can information on teaching the object guard? I see it is part of the Schutzhund WH title. I'm not interested in the title, just training the dog to bark at somebody who tries to take an object.

Anybody have any links, or book/dvd recommendations?
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Object Guard

Post by Dutchringgirl »

The object guard is in Ring Sport. I started training that with my Mal. Basically, One person tries to take the object and the dog is trained NOT to leave that object. If the dog can bark on command then that is encouraged of the dog while he is guarding, when the decoy is about to take the object the dog is given the attack command.

Try a search under Ring Sport
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I did find something, but it involves biting the decoy. I guess that's how they train it.

I'm thinking if I train my dog to bark on command. Then tell him to bark whenever somebody reaches for the object. I wonder if he'll get the connection if I don't use the command.

Alternatively, stand there with a clicker and wait for the desired result and mark it. But that sounds a lot like monkeys typing Shakespeare. LOL!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I had taught Thalie to bark on command early on and it has come in handy plenty of times! I just used the word repeatedley and get her excited then praise her when she barked. The point of the basket in Ring is for the dog to bite, the decoy tries to get the basket, if he does then that part is failed. But if you want to just teach your dog to guard something, you could still work on it just dont encourage the bite. Train with the bark only. You need to teach a guard command, then they will know what their job is with that object. Then you put the object down, put the dog next to it or on it, tell him to guard and when you walk away, his job is to bark when anyone comes close. But with out the bite, the person could just go and take it anyway.
ImageImage
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Yes, but a barking dog would slow some people. I guess I want it to be more like a "trick". I would worry more about people taking my dog than taking a basket. LOL!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

HA, Barking on command is a great trick. I taught Thalie the Defense of Handler while I was pushing the carriage. Most of the time just seeing a black dog will back people off.
ImageImage
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Yes, on the black dog. My first dog was a black DS/GS mix and people would cross the street when they saw us. Though, he was very gentle when not provoked.
Jason Davis
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I compete in FR and own a 4 1/2 year old Dutch Shepherd named Sniper

Post by Jason Davis »

If you're wating to do it just as a trick, then teach the two behaviors separately. Teach your dog to "place" on many different objects, marking the behavior when their front feet reach the desired object. Get that behavior solid. Separately teach your dog how to bark on command. Once that's solid, put the two behaviors together. Just use words like guard instead of place and then you'll have your "scary" trick ;-)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

"place" Comes in very handy too for many different situations. If you will be doing Agility, "place" helps the dog with stopping at the beginning or end of an obstacle.
ImageImage
kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Post by kchristy »

amazing stuff, Im so interested in all of the ring sport ideas. I would love to teach Soba how to do these things, but there really isnt anyone in my area that could help with actual training. I'm wondering if I did enough research, if I could teach him to be a good safely trained dog.
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Post by kchristy »

By safely trained dog, I mean safely trained gaurd dog. I have seen some cases where someone tries to train a dog a specific way and being uneducated, the dog gets out of hand. I love my Soba and he is definately a "pet", not working dog, but would love to see what I could get out of him... just for fun :)
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Ah, I know what you mean, I did this trick with Dingo, just for fun. He knew the trick in about 1 week, but he already had some commands in him from SAR work.
I did it more or less like Jason says.
I took a square piece of wood, land made him stand on it, this was the hardest, 'cause he was thaught to lie down on surfaces he was sent to (SAR work). Anyway, after 4 days he got it:

As soon as he understood he had to go to the "box" and stand on it, I increased the distance, sending him to the box to stand on it. The barking he knew how to do on command, but he actually started barking himself as I increased the distance between me and the box. As if Dingo was shouting on the box "I got it, get over here and reward me!!" But you could give the command too, once the standing on the object is solid.

In the beginning I had to send him back a couple of times, he wanted to come and get me :D Then I would stop moving towards him, and tell him the command to go on the box again. Reward is always on the box ;)

end result:

looks pretty impressive huh? :D
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I like it!

I know the standing on the box is difficult to teach. It's called "perching" by some people, and they use it to teach heeling. I tried to get any of my dogs to put their feet on it, but they wouldn't. (But I figured it out. :) )

I'm going to have to start with teaching my dog to bark. That will keep me busy.
kchristy
Training Dog

Post by kchristy »

Very impressive! I would never think to enter that yard :)
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

kchristy wrote:Very impressive! I would never think to enter that yard :)
You can actually, without a problem :D
Leaving could be troublesome... you'll have to wait 'till I get home :lol:
CaroleBoaz wrote: I know the standing on the box is difficult to teach. It's called "perching" by some people, and they use it to teach heeling.
How on earth do you teach heeling by letting your dog stand on a box?! :huh:
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Marjolein wrote:How on earth do you teach heeling by letting your dog stand on a box?! :huh:
Here's a video that shows the steps. It's a Sylvia Trkman method.

http://foundations4lifetraining.blogspo ... ition.html
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

interesting! I would never think of doing it like that. I believe there are easier ways, but it can work fine like this too. Especially if you want your dog to heel on both sides.

:offtopic: :dssmile:
kchristy
Training Dog

Post by kchristy »

Marjolein wrote:
kchristy wrote:Very impressive! I would never think to enter that yard :)
You can actually, without a problem :D
Leaving could be troublesome... you'll have to wait 'till I get home :lol:
lol very funny!!! :g_wink:
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Dingo looks pretty scary!!!!
ImageImage
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Marj, impressive? I'm convinced!! :shock:

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana