He barked at a baby :(

Olie
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a 32 y.o. veterinarian working in a food microbiology lab, Olaf is cca 1-1,5 y.o. DS adopted from shelter. We are from Croatia.

He barked at a baby :(

Post by Olie »

So today for a coffee and Olaf was peacefully laying on the floor (as usual). Out of nowhere there was a baby crawling on the floor cca 2 meters from us. Olaf pointed his ears forward and was very interested about the baby, he also shifted his weight forward (still laying down). At that moment he might growled silently, Im not sure. He got up, i put him down to sit and then he barked 2 times. I pulled him a bit and said NO. After that we went away.

child was accompanied by super cool parent who said nothing, didnt panic, acted like it was normal. i asked him to lift the baby while we pass by to exit the bar.

I think Olaf was confused by a crawling baby, he must have thought its a little strange dog, but that doesnt mean i will, or should tolarate that kind of behaviour.

I also think my reaction was too soft, i should`ve made a bigger fuss over it.

Any thoughts?
Barbara & Olaf
Croatia, Europe (that`s why my english is bad)
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Re: He barked at a baby :(

Post by alspyce »

Sometimes making a "bigger fuss" over something backfires and the dog thinks there really was cause for alarm after all. I would just let him know it was none of his business, put him back in the down, and continued from there as if all was normal.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

alspyce wrote:Sometimes making a "bigger fuss" over something backfires and the dog thinks there really was cause for alarm after all. I would just let him know it was none of his business, put him back in the down, and continued from there as if all was normal.

I agree. I noticed with Odin, when I don't make a huge fuss he quiets down fast.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I dont make big deals out of things either, with a baby around just make sure Olaf cant get to the baby in case the baby gets close. If I am out and about I have the dogs stay very close to me just in case a stray child wonders near, but I stay calm.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage