Barking at kids

Diesel
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.

Barking at kids

Post by Diesel »

We had a massive Thanksgiving dinner at our house this weekend, about 25 people in total. Diesel has always barked at people when they come in the house, more so at men but in an excited way. We have made a lot of progress on this. But, I mentioned in an earlier post that Diesel has zero experience with children, the only time he has seen one, she screamed at him and it terrified him.
So at dinner, we had one 10 year old come. When he came in, Diesel barked but the kid got scared and this amplified the barking. I wasn't right there beside him, it was my husband who put Diesel in his kennel and there he remained until after dinner. I brought him back out after, and he started barking again, I put him on his leash and kept him with me until they went home. I felt absolutely horrible about the whole situation and I know the kids fear didn't help but how else could he react to a dog barking who is nearly the same size as him?
I figured it was a bad time, since we had so many people at the house to keep trying so I just isolated Diesel from the situation. But this weekend my nephew who is 3 will be staying with us for a week. I need to make sure I can control/teach/calm Diesel for their visit. I will be introducing outside the house and asking my nephew to throw Diesel's toy for him a few times so they become familiar. I know my nephew will not be afraid of him so that is helpful.
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Re: Barking at kids

Post by vneerland »

How old is Diesel again? You are right. A frightened child does not help the situation. I do hope you hush him up when he barks (at least a verbal and maybe a leah correction.) And after your invasion this week (good luck) maybe take him to places where you can spot a lot of kids, first at a distance, then introduce some kids that are used to dogs, while reading Diesels body language the whole time?
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Diesel
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.

Post by Diesel »

Diesel is 5.
My plan is to introduce Diesel and my nephew outside the house, maybe take a quick walk down the road with them. I also thought it might be good to have my nephew throw a ball for him a few times. I think I will keep him on a leash in the house at first. I do think the problem is IN the house and at the initial knock on the door when his excitement grows, outside he doesn't seem to give a hoot about kids. (Passing by on walks and at the dog park)
Thanks for your advice Judith!
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
katm4110
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: about to adopt first dog.... 3 year old Dutch Shepherd from a rescue.... looking for tips!

Post by katm4110 »

We had the same issue with Stella tonight. We had friends over and she barked very loudly at their 12 year old when she walked in the living room. I have 5 kids (little kids) and she has never barked at them.... we just kenneled her until she calmed down and then introduced her calmly and quietly to our guests and she did just fine. I think it was just all of the comotion. Hopefully that is all that set Diesel off as well.
Laura, stay at home mom to 5 human babies, and two rescue dogs Stella (DS) and Nico (brindled hound mix?)
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

My best friend has three small children. All under six years of age. I slowly introduced my dog to kids and instructed the children to not pet the dog. I personally can't stand most people's kids so I just try to avoid them when possible. Unfortunately parents today don't instill common sense into their kids and the dumb children walk right up to strange animals. So it's best to get your dog used to children as soon as possible.
Diesel
Green Dog

Post by Diesel »

Well, my family has been and gone now and I am sooo happy to report that both dogs were great with the kids!!!
The first day was a little tough, Diesel spent some time in his crate. We introduced outside and he did great. I don't think we spent enough time outside though and he barked when they came in. We corrected and tried to calm but it didn't seem to be working. We asked my nephew (3 yrs old) not to run or squeal but that is a lot to ask of a 3 year old boy! Diesel didn't seem too interested in my 5 month old niece except when she would squeal.
The next morning I brought Diesel out on his leash and he was much calmer but the real breakthrough happened when my nephew shared his cheerios with Diesel. By lunch I let him off the leash and he was calm and back to his usual routine. He still had the odd bark when my nephew would run and squeal but it was easily corrected.
By the end of the week Diesel was tolerant to being tugged on, sat on, climbed on etc. I couldn't be more pleased at how he adapted.

I did discover that he likes to roll in baby barf :eew:
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
Diesel
Green Dog

Post by Diesel »

Oh and surprisingly, Halo, who is dominant to other dogs but entirely passive with humans, growled at my 5 month old niece who was lying on the floor playing with her mobile thingy. Halo was hanging out in her usual fortress (under the kitchen table) probably guarding a toy. I suspect she regards my niece as a dog?
Anyway, still thrilled at how both dogs behaved but especially proud of Diesel.
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

such a great story!!!
love it that Diesel likes the breakfast of champions - Cheerios - it is Cheerios, right?

:eew: about the baby barf - :lol:
Barbara, Odin & Kai
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

That's a fantastic outcome! Woohoo to you!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Glad it went well, yipee!!, and yuk about the baby barf!!
Sue (and Sugar)