Featured Topics
To DS, or not to DS?
What's the buzz on DNA Tests?
A Malaherd?
Submissiveness
This should be read by everyone
How To Select/Research a Breeder
Other brindle breeds

Click Here for the forum Image Facebook page.

Just registered? Read This.

For our new members to introduce themselves
KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is steven, I live in New York. I have an 11 month old dutch shepherd/belgian mal mix. His name is koba. Hes a spitfire.

Post by KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:05 pm

Hii everyone. I'm new to this forum. I have an 11 month old dutch shepherd named koba. Hes also my first dutchie, so I'm kind of learning the hard way with him. I researched this breed for years but never realized it would be this tough. It's a learning curve but I love him and wouldnt have it any other way. For all the seasoned vets with this breed. I would love your wisdom. Thankyou

KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is steven, I live in New York. I have an 11 month old dutch shepherd/belgian mal mix. His name is koba. Hes a spitfire.

Re: New Member

Post by KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:18 pm

KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL
Just Whelped

Post by KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:19 pm

Jay knowles
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Post by Jay knowles » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:13 pm

Welcome to the forum, mines now 15 months old and is getting a little easier. Jay

KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL
Just Whelped

Post by KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:16 pm

Thankyou! Soo it does get easier.??

Jay knowles
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Post by Jay knowles » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:29 pm

She’s still hard work but far easier than when she was a year old. I think by 2 she should have matured into a well behaved dog that is confident in her self. Jay

ladyjubilee
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Apparently I just adopted a Dutch Shepherd. My experience have been with Dalmatians. The shelter listed her as a 3 year old Dutch Shepherd, which truthfully I didn't even know was a breed. I picked her because she is so sweet and energetic. But looking at the forum, I'm wondering if I might have taken on more than I will be able to handle. I did reach out to s DS rescue and they say she does appear to be a DS. But so far she's a joy and though not trained is catching on quickly.

Post by ladyjubilee » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:11 pm

I'm not experienced but after 8 months of training, we are seeing a positive turn. The ecollar has been an amazing help. She's worth it ;)

Koba is a cutie.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs

KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL
Just Whelped

Post by KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:15 pm

Thankyou!! Yeaa I like the e collar too. Hes just stubborn at times

Tim91118
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd female named Anja

Post by Tim91118 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:51 pm

If you can get your dog in a down stay it has got to be easier

Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:18 pm

Is it just me or is heeling a sissy's thing for them?

Good to see ya here at the DS forum.

ladyjubilee
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Apparently I just adopted a Dutch Shepherd. My experience have been with Dalmatians. The shelter listed her as a 3 year old Dutch Shepherd, which truthfully I didn't even know was a breed. I picked her because she is so sweet and energetic. But looking at the forum, I'm wondering if I might have taken on more than I will be able to handle. I did reach out to s DS rescue and they say she does appear to be a DS. But so far she's a joy and though not trained is catching on quickly.

Post by ladyjubilee » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:08 pm

I've pondered this for a while. We have worked on a looser heel with Bramble than what most people use. Mainly she doesn't have to keep her eyes up on me all the time. If she did, she wouldn't be able to alert when needed. However, I don't see a true heel as unneeded. We do a very close appropriation, where she stays aligned with my knee, just that she can also work while she is in position. I see the heel as functional.

It addresses her dog reactivity, but also seems to keep her focused on the task of obedience. We have not negotiated crowds yet, but I suspect it will help in that area too. Heeling also seems to be a foundation step to more impressive behaviors.

But then I don't really see my sweet little wiggle worm as all that "butch" of a dog....which is why it is so shocking when she reacts to other dogs. If I thought she was a tough dog, she wouldn't be allowed to sleep alone with my child or be trained for service.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs

cocoman280
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I've owned dogs ever since I was a little kid, from Saint Bernards to German shepherds even down to pugs. I just love dogs.. any animal for that matter

Post by cocoman280 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:10 am

Haha I have an eleven month old female named kona
Joe