Hi new to this forum

For our new members to introduce themselves
PixelGalileo
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I live in the UK and work in the automotive industry. I have recently rescued a Dutch Shepherd (Storm)

Hi new to this forum

Post by PixelGalileo »

Hi I'm Andy and I recently (two days ago) rescued a 4 year oldDutch Shepherd named Storm. The GSD rescue thought he was a cross breed or mix of some type, however a little searching turned up that he was a dutch shepherd.
I'll be looking for training advice, he's going to be a family dog and not a guard dog.I also have a 10 year old Siberian Husky.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Hi new to this forum

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome to the forum.

Storm is a beautiful dog, but the amount of white fur is absolutely atypical for the Dutch Shepherd breed.

The body shape and brindle says maybe some DS, but I suspect a heavy mix of something else.

A DNA test from Wisdom or Embark could tell you more.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ummm not a ds but very striking looking
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I'm curious about any DNA results. Do DS ever miss the gene for darker color like yellow Dalmatians?
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

never have I seen a DS that is not either brindle or fawn.
ImageImage
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I know it isn't a good comparison, but we have regular "brown" squirrels in our area. Except in our actual neighborhood, that species is pure white, cream, white, red, black, brown with a red tail, red with brown tail, black, black with a red tail etc. There have been albinos but most of the whites have brown, blue or black eyes. This year there is actually what appears to be a true chimera, split down the middle brown/jet black (so far I haven't been fast enough to get a picture). This dog's coat had that same look of red that the "red" squirrels without the dark gene has.

So I'm curious :) could be really neat mix too.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

you cant really compare squirrels do dogs. Its in the breeding.
ImageImage
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

True, but even humans have gene defects. And there are even Brindle Dalmatians :)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ladyjubilee wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:37 pm True, but even humans have gene defects.
I know a few :yernuts: :yernuts: :roll: :bum: :eek:
ImageImage
Susannah
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 29 year old nurse. 2 year old dutch shepherd at home and iguana.

Post by Susannah »

Well, there are some Light brindle stripes on ur dog but very Light color is still. There are very Light golden dogs with very few stripes here, rare, but possible. Still, ur dogs eyes are also very Light, thats not common really. Also the tail looks odd for ds. Also that reverse mask is very odd, have t seen any ever. Maybe do dna test?

Looking at the color variations, ur dog like recessive yellow then?
Attachments
4957936.jpg
4957936.jpg (326.53 KiB) Viewed 3616 times
images (3).jpeg
images (3).jpeg (7.92 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
PixelGalileo
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I live in the UK and work in the automotive industry. I have recently rescued a Dutch Shepherd (Storm)

Post by PixelGalileo »

Thanks for the info guys, If he's a mix that's fine. DS was the closest match I could find.