Hello DS Community

For our new members to introduce themselves
sricha72
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is Sarah and just got a Dutch Shepherd puppy (currently 12 weeks old). I am looking for a forum to educated and find community about the breed.

Hello DS Community

Post by sricha72 »

Hello!

My name is Sarah and I'm a first time DS owner (Cede - 12 weeks). I'm really glad to see that there is a forum and a sense of community with the breed :)

Two major questions I have is if anyone can recommend online training courses due to the issue of social distancing and isolation that lots of people are facing these days - in person training is just not an option right now.

Secondly, is there anyone who can recommend a good trainer in the Toronto Canada area for when this is all over?

Glad to have found this forum!
Sarah & Cede (DS)
sricha72
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is Sarah and just got a Dutch Shepherd puppy (currently 12 weeks old). I am looking for a forum to educated and find community about the breed.

Re: Hello DS Community

Post by sricha72 »

IMG_7740.jpg
IMG_7740.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 1842 times
Heres a pic of my girl
Sarah & Cede (DS)
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

What cutie!
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Beautiful little pup. Now is the time to do it yourself. Establish a good relationship with your pup and be consistent. So many free training videos to watch and your pup will be a natural. So let’s get at it and report your progress as they learn fast.
Tim
bigbear123
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dapper-April 2016
Stryker- June 2017
Big Bear-August 2018

Post by bigbear123 »

Hello! Your puppy is beautiful. I have 3 Dutch Shepherds, all trained to a T to fit our lifestyle. When I got my first one, I really loved Leerburg.com and HIGHLY recommend. I never did order any of his training videos, but got so much out of his free articles. He has many detailed articles on training, as well as anything else related to the breed. I personally feel its really important to have both positive reinforcement and corrections(at the right time and stage in training) to teach the dog black and white what is expected- everyone has a different take on this but I feel Leerburgs approach is extremely balanced, fair and effective. I also think his theory of socialization and generalization is spot on (I.E- socialization doesn't necessarily mean letting every stranger and human being in the world pet your puppy). I also HIGHLY recommend a couple of books you can order from Amazon:

1) Schutzhund Obedience- Training in Drive by Sheila Booth and Gottfried Dildei
2) Top Working Dogs-A Schutzhund Training Manual by Deitmar Schellenberg.

Don't be deterred by the Schutzhund part if you don't intend to do Schutzund- these are all around excellent training books, as obedience is the first core of the Schutzhund sport. Both of these books teach you the principles of training and how to use your Dutch Shepherds incredible drive as the sole training tool. If I had to recommend just one for you, I would say the "Training in Drive" book by Sheila Booth, as it has a huge section dedicated to obedience(with general principles AND how-to teach each command) and also a large section detailing and explaining the different drives which each dog has a different God-given measure of. This will help you start to understand your dog as an individual to inform how you train him. However, the Top Working Dogs book has a ton of info on evaluating your dog (temperament evaluation, hard or soft, drives, instincts, strengths/weaknesses etc) as well. I feel so strongly about these books that if I had extra copies, I'd send them to you!

I think the more different sources you take the time to read and learn from, the more you'll educate yourself and formulate your own educated perspective on training, and what works for your dog's drive, personality, and for your unique goals. I also think its important to think critically. I have never learned from a source that I agreed with 150% all the time- even in these books, or with Leerburg. There are things I disagree with here and there- That doesn't mean you throw the baby out with the bathwater, and it also doesn't mean you commit blindly to a method with no exceptions. For example, in Sheila Booth's book, she emphasizes use of hoses (literally cut lengths of a garden hose) for training, instead of a stick since sticks can be dangerous. She's right, sticks can be dangerous which I have learned the hard way ($700 emergency vet visit from serious throat wound from fetching a stick)- but none of my dogs really respond to hoses and they never will. They like balls! Also, I tried her "two hose" game for building drive with one of my pups and it wasn't for him. I've also read the "holding the treat in your own mouth and then dropping it to the dog from your mouth" technique for teaching eye contact during healing. Nope- I don't do it that way. Training is a complex subject! Just read as much as you can while you have time. For starters, check out Leerburg.com and order those books! Wish you the best.

https://leerburg.com/articles-obedmarker.htm

https://leerburg.com/articles-puppytraining.htm
AJL
A girl and her dogs
sricha72
Just Whelped

Post by sricha72 »

Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate the information!!! :)
Sarah & Cede (DS)
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

She's got some big paws. Beautiful dog.