Hi, I'm new here

For our new members to introduce themselves
IndieTN
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Mom to one dutch shep, one silk terrier, and one yorkie.

Hi, I'm new here

Post by IndieTN »

Hello All,

My name is Kristin. I currently own 1 dutch shepherd (was a rescue), one silk terrier (rescue), and one yorkie. My husband and I are looking to purchase a male puppy dutch shepherd. However, I have been researching breeders and have learned not all breeders are created equally. Can anyone recommend any breeders near TN. We are willing to go to a different state. My husband spoke with a breeder in South Carolina, he goes by War and Peace K9. Has anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with this breeder? If you know of any other breeders near the area, would you recommend? Do most reputable breeders ofa their dutch shepherds? I have heard different things from different breeders regarding ofa. Also if you have purchased one recently, what was in your health guarantee? The breeder my husband spoke with mentioned a brn number, when I read about that it is a bloodline registry, not a ukc/akc. Are brn's normal? Also, is there a diffence between the malinois and the dutch shepherd. Is it common for a dutch shepherd to have malinois in it, when coming from a breeder? I have tried to research this and it gets confusing. If you can think of anything else I need to be aware of when looking for a breeder, please let me know. As, I am having anxiety about finding the best breeder. Thanks in advance.
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Re: Hi, I'm new here

Post by Laplaiefier »

Hi,
There's a few posts here about breeders. You might try IM them directly from the user control panel.
Mals and dutchies are not the same breed but from the rest of the gang here they are very simular in behaviour and temper with dutchies being a bit more reserved.
As always, I'd advise being cautious with any newly adopted canines. You never know what can set them off. Mostly from what I've seen dogs wind up in rescues for inconveniences but with dutchies I'd say they are to demanding and too much hyper for people.
No I'm no pro trainner, just have had lots of trainees for friends and acquaintances and our own for the last 35 years.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I sort of agee, Lalaiefer. I come from Dal world, another breed that ends up in shelters because people can't deal with "hyper". As someone who tries first to adopt at municipal shelters, I definitely know there are no guarantees.

But rescues tend to be different. Even our local shelter sends dogs with behavior issues to special foster homes with trainers to address behavior issues. Rescues work to match the dog to the family.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

Two of Riddick's pups were tested and came back with their genetics that was all Dutch Shepherds broken down by coat length. Now the female was an FCI dog in Europe. Anyway, what the breeding showed is that not all KNPV dogs are "mixes" outside of Dutchies or Mal's. The testing was coming back with primarily Dutchies but then broken down by coat length.
bigbear123
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dapper-April 2016
Stryker- June 2017
Big Bear-August 2018

Post by bigbear123 »

The brn(bloodline registration number) is good enough for me personally. You can't get a brn number for a dog without their proven pedigree. I believe both the pup's parents have to have a brn or be AKC/UKC/FCI registered for the pup to get a brn. But getting the brn for the pup will probably be on you. You need the parent's qualifying pedigrees to get it. A dog with a brn number can have both dutch and mal in the breeding but you'll have that pedigree to know whether they have both or not. (which didn't matter to anyone until somewhat recently since mals and dutchies were regularly bred for many years to repopulate the dutch breed starting mid 20th century.)
AKC and UKC only started recognizing the dutch a few years back. Before that a dutch could only be registered with FCI or get a brn. FCI is a pedigree registry based in belgium.
*In my opinion*:
it doesn't make a difference between a brn, FCI, AKC or UKC because they all guarantee you a pedigree. The specific pedigree matters more than the type of registration when it comes to finding the dog who is right for you.
My pedigreed dutch boy's parents are on pedigreedatabase.com and I was able to view his full pedigree by looking up his parents. Check it out just to get familiarized with how to read a pedigree if you aren't already! You will see every dog's show and sport titles and those will tell you what you need to know about the bloodline. Google a cheat sheet for title abbreviations if you're not familiar so you know what you're looking at. All the numbers and letters next to a dog mean something.

Know what you're looking for in the pedigree based on your needs. Then put your eyes on the pedigree from the breeder before you buy. That way a breeder can't sell you a dog who isn't right for you.

Sorry I can't recommend a good breeder in your area. I talked to quite a few in SC when I was looking and never found one I knew I could trust. If they're not a completely open book there's a reason.
No experience with the breeder you mentioned.
There's some dogs on the pedigree database listed by a war and peace k9 but they are out of MI.
AJL
A girl and her dogs
IndieTN
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Mom to one dutch shep, one silk terrier, and one yorkie.

Post by IndieTN »

Thanks for all the replies. We have decided to hold off for now. Our dutchie and other 2 dogs are all hyper (which doesn’t bother us) but finding a breeder I felt comfortable with was too hard. We contacted a few and some just did not sit well with me. So for now we will hold off but we still love our dutchie!
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Glad you made a conscious choice and were not lead by impulse. But you still might find the right fit :)
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs