Socializing

For our new members to introduce themselves
tudor58-
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We are retired and have had Lincoln since he was about 7-8 months he is now 13 months. He is beautiful,smart and loving but doesn’t really get along with other dogs which we would like to remedy

Socializing

Post by tudor58- »

Hi there. We are new members and new to Dutch Shepard’s. Our dog is Lincoln and he is 15 months old. Our friend got Lincoln from a breeder but because of COVID was not able to get him until he was about 4 months old. After he had him awhile he realized this breed needed more than he could give. We told him that was very irresponsible! But we fell in love with Lincoln and said we would take him when he was about 10 months old. He is a very loving dog! We live on 20 acres so we take him out and let him run and explore. He is very smart and learns quickly. We live in a rural community so there is not a lot of chance for socializing but we take him to Home Depot etc and he does fine on a leash, our problem is he doesn’t like other dogs. I don’t know if we can remedy this and would appreciate any advice/suggestions. When he is around people he eventually warms up but it takes awhile but I don’t want him attacking dogs people may bring over. Thanks for any help!
Attachments
CA4F51E8-537E-492F-B0BB-4A1480BB481C.jpeg
CA4F51E8-537E-492F-B0BB-4A1480BB481C.jpeg (28.57 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: Socializing

Post by Tim91118 »

Welcome to the site. Your dog doesn’t need to be friendly to other dogs. When taking him out to places like Home Depot, you keep an eye out for other dogs instead of Lincoln trying to eye one. Your job is to try and keep him from making eye contact first and foremost. If he does, do not get him close.... try and distract him to pay attention to you. In the case of your home, I would ask your friends and family not to bring their dogs over. If done improperly, you could cause his dislike to grow stronger.
Last edited by Tim91118 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
tudor58-
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We are retired and have had Lincoln since he was about 7-8 months he is now 13 months. He is beautiful,smart and loving but doesn’t really get along with other dogs which we would like to remedy

Post by tudor58- »

My concern is this, we like to go camping quite a bit so how do I handle the pet area for potty time? He is distracted very easily.
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

How is he with his basic commands like sit, down, stay and heel ? If he can’t do these basic things for you, then expecting anything else from him is asking for a lot.
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Bramble was very reactive to other dogs and can still be when in her "tuff". Obviously, this was the biggest hurdle we had to cross for her to work as a service dog.

Our progress was first and foremost obedience. I get slack on this, which I shouldn't, then she gets up to her old tricks. We had to get to the point her on leash obedience was spot on.

I'm not a great handler. For me, the key was the ecollar, particularly because when Bramble works she is essentially "off leash" (as she walks with her boy as her handler). I'll be honest I needed the "crutch" of the ecollar (after she knew the commands) to get to her precise obedience.

We also gave her her job. When she is working just focuses and doesn't push the envelop. That said, her trainers have said she is High Drive, and likes to flip the paw.

It was only after we had the obedience down pat did we add other dogs. The goal, however, was NOT socialization. The goal is that she that she can have a look and not respond. She has to let me be the one to assess the situation and tell her what to do. She doesn't have to turn away (though she does sometimes as a self correction when other dogs are just as sooooo tempting.)

But pre COVID, we had gotten to the point we could walk through a dog crowd event without even a bump.

It takes work...and a dedicated handler (we're a work in progress on that front). Work that obedience, use the drive...work with a professional.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

ICE is also not dog friendly with dogs outside of his home pack. It is obedience that keeps everyone safe. I do allot of activities with ICE so we needed some rules. My rule for him is that he will not act like an idiot (barking lunging or snarling) if we encounter another dog. His rule for me is I will never let another dog come close enough to touch him.
Patty and Ice
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

That is a good rule.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

What Patty said!!!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Work obedience. Search YouTube for ways to build engagement. Please remember- this is an ongoing process. You can build engagement with you dog that will allow you to keep him focused on, or at least physically obeying you. But of you get lazy with it, so will the dog.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
tudor58-
Just Whelped

Post by tudor58- »

Tim91118 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:11 pm How is he with his basic commands like sit, down, stay and heel ? If he can’t do these basic things for you, then expecting anything else from him is asking for a lot.
He is very smart, he knows all the basic commands and then some
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

You really need to focus on building an obedience foundation on leash until he can be trusted off leash. He needs to be under command at all times unless he's in his crate or once trained- on his dog bed.