Hello from Gunner and I! New members here!

For our new members to introduce themselves
Jessfields77
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I’ma new pup parent to a Dutch shepherd rescue named Gunner. He’s about 4 months old, super smart and a quick learner! He’s also growing so fast!

Hello from Gunner and I! New members here!

Post by Jessfields77 »

Hi All, I wanted to introduce myself and my new rescue pup Gunner.

We live in GR, Michigan with my husband and two kitties. We just rescued Gunner on June 19th, 2021. He was a docile & adorable 3 month old pup that looks to be Dutch Shepherd and he was transported from Texas one week prior to our adoption. (photos below!) He's now about 5 months and weighs almost 40 lbs.

My question is do you think he looks like a Dutch Shepherd? He is all brindle except for the white on his chest/neck and a tiny bit on his paw. I've read that it's common to have some white fur on a Dutch Shepherd, though it's undesirable. His face is narrow and getting longer every month. Dark, almond eyes, brindle, black mask etc all lead me to think he is. Does he look full dutch to you? or do you see anything else? Thanks in advance! (Note: I know the only way of knowing is a dna test or going back in time lol)

Here's a few photos from our last couple months together! He's seriously the sweetest!
Gunner 3 months old, being a cheese
Gunner 3 months old, being a cheese
IMG_8395-2.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 1217 times
Gunner 3.5 months old
Gunner 3.5 months old
image-3.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 1217 times
Gunner 4 months old
Gunner 4 months old
image-2.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 1217 times
Gunner looking handsome; about 4.5 months old
Gunner looking handsome; about 4.5 months old
IMG_8524-2.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 1217 times
Jess and my rescue pup Gunner, Grand Rapids, MI
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Re: Hello from Gunner and I! New members here!

Post by ladyjubilee »

Hmmm., I'm not sure. Those feet look really big and he looks lankier than a DS. Does he lean?

He is a cutie.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Jessfields77
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I’ma new pup parent to a Dutch shepherd rescue named Gunner. He’s about 4 months old, super smart and a quick learner! He’s also growing so fast!

Post by Jessfields77 »

Thanks, ladyjubilee! Can you tell me what you mean by "lean"? Like, does he like to lean on things? Yes, but only when sitting.

I also think these photos are misrepresenting his big paws and long legs. If you look in the first photo, his paws are closer to what they truly are. :)
Jess and my rescue pup Gunner, Grand Rapids, MI
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Wow. Look at those ears!

I'm going to say that there's a good chance of being DS.

The shape of the head is a little off in that it looks squared off in some parts. Could be just the angle of the photos and lighting.

Welcome to the forum.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Your pup is a mix. While white on the chest is present in a small percentage of Dutch shepherd, it is usually not that prominent. It is definitely never present on the chin and nose area.
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I definitely think mix. But I was wondering about either boxer or Dane in the mix. Danes lean. (Which I find very amusing cause every one I know seems to think no one will notice being leaned on :) .)
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs