Featured Topics
To DS, or not to DS?
What's the buzz on DNA Tests?
A Malaherd?
Submissiveness
This should be read by everyone
How To Select/Research a Breeder
Other brindle breeds

Click Here for the forum Image Facebook page.

Just registered? Read This.

Mental Maturity

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
ladyjubilee
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Apparently I just adopted a Dutch Shepherd. My experience have been with Dalmatians. The shelter listed her as a 3 year old Dutch Shepherd, which truthfully I didn't even know was a breed. I picked her because she is so sweet and energetic. But looking at the forum, I'm wondering if I might have taken on more than I will be able to handle. I did reach out to s DS rescue and they say she does appear to be a DS. But so far she's a joy and though not trained is catching on quickly.

Mental Maturity

Post by ladyjubilee » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:04 pm

So in a discussion about service dogs someone mentioned that different breeds matured more slowly than others. Not a training issue, but attaining an adult response. At what stage did your Dutch Shepherd start behaving like an adult dog?
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs

Jay knowles
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Re: Mental Maturity

Post by Jay knowles » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi mines 13 months now and is now behaving quite well, I would say by the time she's 18 months she should be pretty good. Jay

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:10 pm

sadie is 9 and I am still waiting
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage

Tim91118
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lost a good dog and just replaced him with a nice Dutch Shepherd pup. Looking forward to raising her.

Post by Tim91118 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:00 pm

When I think of mental maturity, I think in terms of whether the dog is ready to take on the tasks it was bred for. A dog has to show confidence and perseverance to complete a task no matter how difficult.

Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own two Dutchies and a Mal.

Post by Mark77 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:56 pm

Some are more naturally mature than others. Riddick (age 8) can be a serious, no non sense dog but he also acts like a giant puppy with the people he likes. He's got the most outgoing personality out of the three dogs, extremely social as long as he trusts people. He's like the perfect end of the world sidekick dog- which I can't really describe.

Asia (age 8.5) has always acted like an older dog even when she was young, very reserved, absolutely the most trouble free dog I've ever owned. Asia does not like being messed with, has an extremely low tolerance with other dogs because she thinks she's human and has only what I can describe as one of the scariest mean streaks I've ever seen. She's not real big for Dutchie, absolutely the sweetest disposition but out of nowhere she can be just mean. Basically she's my most dominant dog and my oldest.

Zoe (age 5) the Mal never grew up, still whines like a puppy which I find horribly annoying but I think that has to do with her position in the "pack". Zoe is scary smart, figured out how to open doors, open the lid on the food container and she remembers everything. She would have been an awesome dog for a single dog home.