Quiet Around Here

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Quiet Around Here

Post by centrop67 »

I called both vet and the foster yesterday, but neither returned my calls. Looking closer at the response in the email, I realize that there were a couple of other things happening:

I wrongly associated the Cytpoint treatments with another specialized vaccine treatment the dog is receiving from a veterinary dermatologist. I now have researched cytopoint, and I feel confident that it is not all that bad - except I still don't know what the pricing is.

The second thing I missed was the medicated baths every 4-5 days.

They seem to be confident that when the vaccine treatments are completed that this problem will go away. I am not against having a special needs dog by any means, but I hope this isn't false marketing.

Finally, the longer I go without more information, the more I am falling in love with the dog.

I am just not sure how it's going to be moving forward as the owner/admin of a Dutch Shepherd group without actually having a Dutch Shepherd. It's already clear that not being a working dog owner chased a lot of the old membership off. I don't ever want to see the site go away, but I need to consider putting control into some other people's hands.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Well, I can't help, since my girl isn't a DS either :)
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

My wife and I went to meet Mario yesterday.

He is an amazingly sweet dog who's health issues are heartbreaking.

My wife wants to make it our mission to help this dog, so it will be an interesting ride.

Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

So he is yours now?
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Not quite. The foster recommended me to attempt to foster, so I can get help from the rescue organization towards his medical bills.

My wife prefers that idea, but in my opinion, I want full ownership of his health and care. I wasn't happy with the response I got from the vet dermatologist today. She wouldn't go into medical details, but expressed concerns about missed checkups. I've asked the foster to allow me to be on the call for his visit on Wednesday.

Barring a denial from the rescue, we will be adopting this dog.

Anyone know a good German Shepherd group? :D
Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Are the bills levels within the budget? I looked at one dog that I really liked...but his medical was $1000 a month. Totally beyond my budget.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

centrop67 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:48 pm
No, but I know how to paint some stripes
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

centrop67 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:48 pm
No, but I know how to paint some stripes
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Mario has some brindle, but I can tell it's all GSD with him.

I'm okay with that.
Michael
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

Maybe Mario is German Shepherd/Dutch Shepherd. However just want to point out, Riddick has a huge wide head, large jaws, very large frame, and weighs between 93 to 95 pounds depending on the season or activity levels. So I wouldn't rule out that Mario isn't a Dutchie, he wouldn't be brindle if he was a German Shepherd or at least I wouldn't think so. As far as the forum goes- there will be more members. I remember more people being around in years past. A lot of trainers, competitors, and good people on here. .
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Mario will get a DNA test at some point. I don't expect any DS in the mix, but I would definitely be pleasantly surprised.

My priority will be getting him healthy. I know from experience this is a monumental task.

I will be talking to the vet dermatologist tomorrow directly, and I expect to know more afterwards.

I just hope he can coexist with Leela, because that's important.
Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

How is she with change? Is there any possibility the skin issue could be contagious?

I'll just put it out there Peanuts had terrible skin allergies. We tried all kinds of meds, injections, creams additives...3 different vets...until we fed him Nutrish Beef. I know its not the best food, but it worked. The other dogs would be on high priced dog foods, but he thrived on it. But let him get one mouthful of even a specialty diet and he broke out and went bald again. He looked better at 15 when we put him on that food than any time in his life.