Fireworks Season

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Fireworks Season

Post by centrop67 »

There will certainly be an uptick in fireworks displays during the days leading up to and following the 4th of July in the U.S.

It's a good time to review this checklist:

1. Have your dogs chipped and register your information.
2. Make sure your dog as registration tag on the collar.
3. Secure fencing and holding areas for your dog.
4. If they work for your dog, have your thundershirt (or similar product) at the ready
5. If you use drugs to calm anxiety, make sure you have an ample supply.

I'd love to hear other suggestions as well as some don'ts from you.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Fireworks Season

Post by Dutchringgirl »

any time I feel a situation may occur, i put harness on them with leashes just in case. I tried the thundershirt but Sadie would see the shirt coming and know something would be coming and get upset .

During really bad storms I will hold on to the leashes. there is no reason to take chances in my mind.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

Two of my dogs, Asia and Riddick- do not react to fireworks at all. Asia doesn't freak out but I can tell she doesn't like the loud noises. Riddick however actually likes watching fireworks, he also likes watching thunderstorms sitting on the front porch.

We were outside in the back yard once stacking firewood when I noticed the clouds were really low, dark, a storm suddenly formed and a mini tornado began ripping the limbs off the neighbors tree, then ripped the siding, gutters, and a corner of their roof off their house. Riddick just barked at the tornado.

M
Last edited by Mark77 on Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

Took the Malinois out tonight during the 4th of July celebrations and she's learning to not react to fireworks. These dogs should not react to fireworks or be afraid of anything.

M
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Oh dear...my poor Bramble is afraid of everything. We call her chicken little. But could be the mix with her or that she was in the streets for so long
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Mark77 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:50 am Took the Malinois out tonight during the 4th of July celebrations and she's learning to not react to fireworks. These dogs should not react to fireworks or be afraid of anything.

M
100%! but that is in the training and most regular family dog people do not know how to train the dog to ignore everything. they want to socialize instead and that is not the direction the training should go.
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I have has Sadie on CBD oil for a while now for her hips, but it has really helped her with her anxiety, she has been great during the fireworks this week. Also having the AC on in the room helps with the noise as well.
ImageImage
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:06 pm
Mark77 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:50 am Took the Malinois out tonight during the 4th of July celebrations and she's learning to not react to fireworks. These dogs should not react to fireworks or be afraid of anything.

M
100%! but that is in the training and most regular family dog people do not know how to train the dog to ignore everything. they want to socialize instead and that is not the direction the training should go.
You can only train them so far to not react to loud noises though you'll still notice they'll be breathing heavy as a nervy dog like my Malinois will still act jittery- though she shouldn't be. Neither Riddick nor Asia react to fireworks so it's definitely in the breeding. I don't think many breeders are weeding them out for that stateside but over seas- they'd never be able get titled if they had a negative reaction to gunfire specifically and likely wouldn't be used for breeding.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

absolutely. Sadie is very nervy. I have no idea though, how much I could have trained out of her since I never did any of that kind of training with her.
ImageImage
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:13 pm absolutely. Sadie is very nervy. I have no idea though, how much I could have trained out of her since I never did any of that kind of training with her.
Well here's my experience. Zoe my malinois is super nervy of thunderstorms and fireworks. My neighborhood during 4th of July sounds like a war going off. Indiana is nearby and everyone goes there to buy fireworks- which start before it's dark and continue well past midnight. So on the 4th I had a fire in my fire pit and kept Zoe outside during the whole event for hours- well until 2 am.

At first she kept wanting to go to the back porch to hide, I didn't react, I didn't force her to participate nor correct her to create a negative experience. Instead, I kept the water bowl in the middle of the yard. So if she wanted something to drink she'd have to walk through the horrible loud noises. My other two dogs weren't reacting of course, they were chewing on logs, laying on the driveway, or in Riddick's case- biting the flames in the fire pit. Over time, Zoe was able to make the situation manageable, stepped off the back porch more and ventured further away from her safe area. Conclusion, with enough exposure a dog can learn to handle a fearful situation but the nervousness in and of itself comes from poor breeding. Essentially, test your dogs around gunfire, fireworks, well before even considering breeding them.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

well, yes, Sadie is from poor breeding, she was from some police down south who thought he could make a ton of money from this breed. Christie from NADR said this guy did this every year.

Every thunderstorm, sadie is either under my desk, crammed in the corner of the couch, or behind my bed shaking like a category 8 earthquake. I have always ignored her. She is 9 now and its a bit better but not a ton.

I have to say though, the CBD helps with the fire works, they hardly bother her now
ImageImage