Invisible Fence

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Clyde24
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just brought home our first DS. My last two dogs were rescued pitbulls. Have alot of experience with dogs in general, but not this breed.

Invisible Fence

Post by Clyde24 »

Has anyone had any luck with an invisible fence? If so any advice?
We have a 1 year old female with a good amount of drive.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Re: Invisible Fence

Post by ladyjubilee »

We have an invisible fence, but I've not used it with Bramble, but used when we had the boxer-lab mix, Dalmatian and the (surviving) Jack Russell mix.

Snuggles, the boxer lab mix, was a Houdini. He would jump 6 foot fences, climbed 10 ft fences, went THROUGH doors, learned to open closed doors that he couldn't go through. Nothing contained him. He was just that determined. We finally tried the invisible fence with physical fence.

The big part was the training. We had to really work the training and bring the provider back several times to help train. But even then his collar was set high with no warning beep. We definitely used their guarantee :)
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

Not without a solid barrier fence and one that is staked down if chain link or a wood slat privacy fence.
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

A quality system will work wonders as long as there are physical recognizable boundries established. I saw a couple of dogs that were somewhat afraid to go near certain yard items because that was the boundry of the wire. Only similar items next to the house had the same effect.
It would never work around here because the urban script kiddies hackers would be pinging the poor dog everywhere.