During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Re: During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Post by ICE »

ladyjubilee wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:39 pm What do you do with nose work once the dog learns it?
You can trial for titles if you want to or just continue to practice and challenge your dog and yourself. It's harder than you think to find new and challenging hiding spots.... :lol:
Patty and Ice
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

SEL wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:11 pm
ICE wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:18 pm
That's not bad for the bronze level, $65. Are you taking more classes on Fenzi? Going for an ORT? I'll have to get some supplies, including the odor kit. I have boxes already though.
I looked at scentworkuniversity - wow - pretty expensive... I am going to take the next class and will probably continue on as there seems to be so much to learn. I might trial with AKC I am entered in a June trial but I have not done any blind hides yet. I need to feel confident that I can read him correctly.
I didn't by a kit - I use a toolbox and bought tins from amazon and drilled holes in them and bought my oils from my usual Essential oil company, you can get glass jars at Walmart or even the dollar store. If you are on facebook check out "black hat nosework products" he has some neat stuff. I have bought containers and the tiles from him.
Patty and Ice
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

ICE wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:13 pm You can trial for titles if you want to or just continue to practice and challenge your dog and yourself. It's harder than you think to find new and challenging hiding spots.... :lol:

Actually, I face the same challenge. We're running out of places for my son to hide when we send Bramble to find him. Yesterday I unthinkingly had him hide in a spot Bramble isn't supposed to go. She isn't really ready to push the envelope that way yet so she ended up freezing.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
ICE
Training Dog

Post by ICE »

ladyjubilee wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:54 pm
ICE wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:13 pm You can trial for titles if you want to or just continue to practice and challenge your dog and yourself. It's harder than you think to find new and challenging hiding spots.... :lol:

Actually, I face the same challenge. We're running out of places for my son to hide when we send Bramble to find him. Yesterday I unthinkingly had him hide in a spot Bramble isn't supposed to go. She isn't really ready to push the envelope that way yet so she ended up freezing.
It is kind of sad yet funny that we get in such slumps unable to think of new exciting things and end up doing the same ole same ole.... Good for Bramble to think it through and not go into a spot she's not supposed to go... :DSangel:
Patty and Ice
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

She did do good. Eventually she'll need to do that purposeful disobedience thing when she looks for him, but she's not there yet.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Life is no longer "normal" and we may be a long way from a return to normal - if ever.

Radar is loving the fact that I am home all day.

My wife is out of work, but I am still working for now...from home. Don't know how much longer that will last given I work in the travel industry.

Just a few random thoughts. How's everyone else doing?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

I'm working from home, which I am able to do whenever I need to. Bramble thinks this means I have lots of time to play with her, and is only now starting to realize that when the laptop is out, we aren't playing.

Overall, though we are doing pretty good. Because two members of the family would be at high risk, we've only gone out once, and that was a ride to the drive thru to support local business.

My son, who normally doesnt watch tv, watched the Americas Top Dog finale. Then signed, "More" at the end. He really liked watching them jump, and kept signing, "go, go, go"

Yesterday, after work, I went to work on Bramble's touch training, I do when I feed her. We alternate between using her supper as a training time and a hand feeding time (by my son). Last night he decided that he was going to train her and not just feed her. He had did a great job with just a little support holding her target then rewarding her, and she responded well. He really enjoys being a "dog trainer" and is a bonus with her training. Our goal is for her to retrieve items for him based on his body language (not a sign but specific movement.)

But otherwise not much going on. Hope everyone stays safe.
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Think of your life before Bramble and how much she has changed you and your son’s life.
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

I know, it's been wonderful. Just the relief of knowing when a migraine is brewing is a blessing, but add in their relationship and it's just great. Though she gets scared of him sometimes, they are normally like two peas in a pod.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Pics from today.

Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Look at those stripes.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Caption This:

Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Wish us luck...we're going to meet a dog today. Has history of aggression but we think she's in a level we can handle.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

They pulled her because she is sick before we got there (and didnt call). We did see an adorable boxer mix, but that baby is going to get BIG.

We've got another appointment Saturday.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

It wasn't meant to be.
Michael
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Is his brindle showing more in real life or just showing in pictures more?
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

It's the sunlight combined with using a quality DSLR camera :D

His brindle did start showing more as he got older.
Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

That explains it. For a while I thought he was black.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Sorry - not Dutch Shepherd related, but given that they've closed ALL the boat ramps in my area, this is how I am spending my time off.

Driveway Raft UP

Michael