During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Re: During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Post by Joxgirl »

Jay knowles wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:23 pm We had to have our old bull terrier put to sleep this week at 16 years old which is a really good age. Pepsi is really behaving quite strangely which I hope will pass. Very upsetting losing a dog after so many years. Will post a few pics of them together later. Jay
I am sorry for your loss.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Jay knowles wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:25 pm Image
A very recent picture, they secretly got on quite well . Jay
Aww so sweet
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Jay knowles wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:11 pm
centrop67 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:26 pm Wow Jay. Really sorry for your loss.

I am sure Pepsi will come around. Maybe a little extra play time will be good for both of you.
Thanks myself and wife will be fine we knew it was time to let her go. Ruby had been struggling for a while but since the weekend she really went down hill.
Pepsi is very independent and generally doesn’t spend much time with us in the evenings where as Ruby layed on my wife’s lap every night for her entire life.
So a new chapter starts in Pepsi’s life to start to integrate with the family more, time will tell. Jay
Interested in how Pepsi will change.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

ladyjubilee wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:28 pm That is the hard part of having older dogs. Peanuts' time is coming and I let my mom know I can't be the one to take him this time.

I'm sorry to hear about Ruby.
We have an old man that is not going to be around much longer too. So sad for all of us.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

ladyjubilee wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:36 pm Image

Today was Bramble's first hospital visit. She did great....even though we had to park on the opposite side from where we needed to be and had to cut through the hospital.
How did she do? Rogue wound bark at everyone I fear.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

SEL wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:17 pm I was wondering about how the coronavirus was affecting anyone currently in training group classes or clubs, upcoming events, etc. if they've been cancelled or people considering not going? The next scent work class starts towards end of March and I'm debating going. It's not just about whether I could get it in a group class, it's also about well what if I end up getting sick then can't even go to any classes. Maybe that's overreacting, don't know.
I also do have to deal with a medical issue with Laszlo right now. He hurt his back right leg this week, I think while running after the ball. When it happened he ran back towards me doing this high pitched awful whine and holding up his leg. I thought at first he had one of those prickly weeds stuck in his foot, but nothing. Then he seemed to be okay and walked fine, no limp. Then the next day he did it again. Plus he wouldn't even look at the ball, no interest. He just stayed close by me, looking like he was afraid of doing something wrong. Today I brought a different ball on a rope just for him to carry (not run after). He did do that. But when he saw Idna running towards her tug, he took a couple bounds then turned and came right back to me and flopped on his back, belly up like he's saying "I submit, please don't hurt me any more". His body language seems to say he thinks I'm the one causing him the pain, like he's doing something wrong. Breaks my heart to see. I need to get him to the vet. I just don't know how to make him realize it's not me doing it. Idna has never reacted like that when she got hurt. I don't know if Laszlo associates pain with a human causing it because of something prior. I feel really bad about all of this though.

This morning at park. Idna rolling in the wet dirty grass (it's been raining for the past couple of days here). Don't know why her pink belly looks white there. Laszlo ignoring his ball :(
IMG_8258.jpg
Hope his leg is better by now.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Jay knowles wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:23 pm The UK is going a bit mad with all this. My wife happens to own a contract cleaning company so we have all the toilet rolls and hand jell you could ever wish for. In the UK people are going mad for all this type of stuff which I don’t really understand. Still walking Pepsi every day, she’s like a Covid-19 repellant, no one comes anywhere near us. Jay
Ha ha ha. Pepsi is repellent.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

ladyjubilee wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:50 pm For some reason when we just take Bramble out, people avoid her. They will ask about her, but not reach out and touch.....until she has her service dog gear on. Then suddenly everyone wants to pet her. So strange.

Sel, I can't speak from a dog perspective, but have experienced something similar with children. I hate to say it, but I think it comes from hypervigilance. When someone, or in this case some dog, experiences neglect and abuse, the entire world is threatening and unpredictable, and you are part of that world. Neglect and abuse set cause and effect off kilter, which makes it hard to know who or what causes pain. When my son first came to me, we were out and it started raining. He got so mad at me he clawed my contacts out. He really thought I was then one getting him wet....and I've had other kids get really upset with me when they trip or get a normal bump. Plus, now you are Lazlo's rock, his rescuer, his, well, god, of course you control everything.

Children and I suspect animals that have experienced neglect and abuse often don't even realize when they experience pain, frankly (terribly) because they get used to it. Could be that Lazlo is hurting consistently and you just can't see it.

We had to cancel my son's birthday party. It wouldn't have been a huge gathering, but almost all of the kids have underlying medical conditions. He is going to be bummed when he realizes he didn't get his Godzilla party.

We do private training, but I would think a small class, especially outside would be fine with proper precautions. After all, it's not like handlers and dogs get that close to each other anyway.
Oh man a Godzilla party sounds like fun. I’m sorry he won’t be having one right now.
Sorry your son didn’t understand that the rain was wetting him and not you. Must have been truly frightening for him.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

SEL wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:57 pm No TP here, or paper towels, or kleenex...
IMG.jpg
So creepy to see this I’m glad it’s getting g better.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

SEL wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:53 pm Ladyjubilee I'm sorry about your son's birthday party, that sucks :( I hope he still has a good birthday and isn't too upset. I would take the same precaution if it was my daughter.
I'm surprised people will approach Bramble to pet her when she has her service dog vest ON. Seems that's when people shouldn't interfere with a dog that is doing a job. What do you tell people then?
When I've had Laszlo at an outdoor mall a couple times there were people that would come right up and stick their hand in his face without even asking! I don't like people doing that. Even though with Idna she could care less, with Laszlo he is nervous, especially if a man gets close. People should know better about approaching strange dogs.
You are very right about how negative treatment in the past affects behavior. Laszlo's behavior does seem to be hypervigilance sometimes. He is jumpy and has this nervous energy. When we are out he is super aware of everything. At the park, up til now he would focus his nervous energy into the ball. If the ball is not out he doesn't know what to do with himself. He'll take some steps away with a nervous, unsure body posture and then come back, and keep doing that. Idna and him are like night and day. She will happily walk around the park, eat grass, roll in grass, lie down and just hang out. Laszlo can't do that, he can't relax. He's also scared to make a misstep and get in trouble. But he has improved and I think Idna is a big help because she is not scared of anything and doesn't have all this nervous energy. When we're out I think she helps put him at ease. I don't think he ever got to just enjoy being a dog or do anything without being overdisciplined and now he's nervous and scared to do something wrong.
It really breaks my heart that people can be so mean to any animal. I’m sorry your boy has to overcome his abuse.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

Riddick decided to re-injure himself yesterday. Literally sitting outside, having a fire, wife is commenting about how Riddick is doing well with his leg injury from the previous February. He's running around, jumping on the retaining wall, chasing a kong, everything is good. Then he somehow wedges his damn leg in between the retaining wall blocks and jumps down. He starts yelping because he somehow messed himself up again. Stupid dog. Stop getting yourself hurt seriously.
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

That’s so sad. Poor Riddick. Rogue has caught her leg like that a few times. Made me sad to her her yelp. Hope he heals quickly
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

Laszlo needs to go to the emergency vet if he has infection- that's something that can serious. Riddick is doing a little better today, still limping but it isn't Old Yeller time just yet. He has some kind of lemming genetics diving over a wall like that.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I'm sorry to hear Laszlo and Riddick are having a hard time. Hope they feel better.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

ladyjubilee wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:12 am We had to make the decision about Peanuts today. He started crying in his sleep last night which was the first time he appeared to be in pain. We've been seeing s steady decline, and decided now was the time, before a crisis. I think it was the right decision. I waited to long with Gotcha and she suffered because I just didn't want to let her go.

I think this is the hardest decision to ever have to make.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I wonder if a different squash, like butter nut or acorn, would have the same impact.
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Raw Zucchini helps Rogue go.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

Took Riddick on a 12 mile hike through the woods today. He's walking better obviously. It's been so boring being home so it was a welcome change. He did great and absolutely loved going hiking.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

:wtg: :wtg: :wtg:
Mark77 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:01 pm Took Riddick on a 12 mile hike through the woods today. He's walking better obviously. It's been so boring being home so it was a welcome change. He did great and absolutely loved going hiking.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

So I'm curious. Is anyone following the CDC guidance to socially distance from their pet?