Some people don’t get it

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
bradyma3
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Active owner with newly adopted Dutch shepherd approximately 3 years old.

Some people don’t get it

Post by bradyma3 »

A lot of people that I run into on my walks with Rayas are scared of her even though she is showing no signs of aggression and she loves people and other dogs. I would love to get more people to interact with her to keep her sociable does anybody else have this problem? I mean how could you not love this sweet face!?
Attachments
D17C3451-76F0-45D3-99ED-490236CCB3DB.jpeg
D17C3451-76F0-45D3-99ED-490236CCB3DB.jpeg (134.27 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Some people don’t get it

Post by centrop67 »

I don't see the general public being timid around my dog as a bad thing. It's not an "I hate people" kind of thing, it's just a natural filter to keep away the wrong ones.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

I used to take mine everywhere and people loved seeing them. I trust my older Dutchies around people when I'm around but my Mal- she's kind of iffy.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Bramble is the same. She sees all humans as potential belly rubbers and playmates. But people don't really approach her. After Dals, it was a total shock. But as soon as she has on her "Service Dog" and "Service Dog in Training: Do Not Touch" people want to pet...which she loves but totally distracts from her job.

I do get lots of comments about her brindle. The latest is that she looks like a marble cake.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Wes Thomas
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a first time DS owner... And now a lifetime owner of the breed. I have Karma.. she's almost 2 now and is incredible. Great protection dog for my family and the most athletic dog I've ever witnessed.

Post by Wes Thomas »

I see people being too friendly without knowing my dog That's why Karma always has her "Do Not Pet" harness on in public. She is not the lovey dubby hands on type even from me. She is ok to play with if she has her ball and people don't approach aggressively but I never totally let my guard down. Always on my toes with her in public. I know how fast she can explode into protection mode if she feels I'm threatened.