Any suggestions?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
bradyma3
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Active owner with newly adopted Dutch shepherd approximately 3 years old.

Any suggestions?

Post by bradyma3 »

Rayas is the perfect dog all around for me. The only problem I have is her mouthing people. It’s weird though she only nibbles sometimes and sometimes it can be all kisses. I personally don’t have a problem with her mouthing with me but with other people it could be intimidating to them. I tried some stuff with her already that we have been working on everyday but I would to hear what you guys think would be best to do. Thank you!
Attachments
65AB4D00-96CE-4B6B-8003-912B14FDDB25.jpeg
65AB4D00-96CE-4B6B-8003-912B14FDDB25.jpeg (93.43 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Re: Any suggestions?

Post by ladyjubilee »

I think it's kind of like jumping on people, it's bad manners. You might not be bothered by it, but the first time it happens to a child or an older person with thin skin, it's a real problem.

Bramble went through a mouthy stage too. We claimed our space, and if it was during play, play stopped. Just like a dog would do if a puppy got too rowdy. We also gave verbal corrections if she didnt take the hint.

The other thing that helped was her job. She started being more purposeful when she had work to do.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Young dogs get excited, so they should be kept away from greeting someone until the high peak of excitement is over. I find this level diminishes after only a few minutes.
Tim
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Here’s the best suggestion. Don’t let the dog do it to you and expect her not to do it to others. Start setting the rules that include everyone.
Tim
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

:music2: TIM!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Redirect. Keep a pocket sized tug or a rag that's given to her, or something. It's excitement. It will never go away on it's own. Even if you train to redirect the nipping, it will come back if not practiced for a period of time. Go over the top with affection when she's staying down and not using her teeth. Back her up and present her tug. Set her up for success! Give her every cheating chance to follow the path you want her to. I've found thinking in those terms helps me get the most/ best behavior and work out of my dog 🙂
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor