Counter Surfing

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Counter Surfing

Post by ladyjubilee »

Last night I cooked asparagus. While preparing it, I gave Bramble a piece of raw asparagus thinking she'd shred it, but she came back for another piece. Turns our she REALLY likes it. So we sat down to eat, having left the majority on the (still on simmer) stove. Didnt think anything of it.

Until after we ate and went to clean up. Bramble has never taken anything off the counter...but every last bit of asparagus was gone. Seriously, I was so not expecting a green stringy vegetable to lead her astry. Not meat, asparagus. She was fortunate not to have gotten burned since the stove was still on.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Re: Counter Surfing

Post by ladyjubilee »

She is all about apples. The trainer was surprised that I brought apples as a training treat, until he saw just how hard she works for a little piece of apple. She also likes carrots and bananas, but will only eat a blueberry if nothing else is on offer and the pack is eating one. She's also been known to eat a strawberry.

I tried giving her broccoli once, and she spat it out. I may have to try cooked broccoli.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Endeavor goes batshit crazy for absolutely anything from a cutting board. She's a lover of all fruits and most vegetables. She's taken to getting in the stove in the last year if I leave bacon grease to cool in the pan while I'm at work. We've worked on it, but due to the fact that I came home once to find one of the burners squeaking a small amount of gas out, I pull the knobs off the burners if she's got run off the house
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

I put a small amount of fresh veggies and a few blueberries on top of my dogs kibble every day. However every so often I catch one in particular stealing stuff. Asia is my only thief. She'll sneak veggies from the counter despite her short stature and isn't that good about being sneaky about it. I can't correct her though since she can do no wrong. I say, "Asia that's not yours" and she just looks at me like- "but it's mine" and I can't disagree. The other dogs aren't allowed to get away with anything since they aren't Asia.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Bramble is allowed on furniture, which our other dogs aren't. Before Peanuts passed, he suddenly decided he was also going to hop up on the couch ....at least till my son came in. Then he decided that maybe sitting on the furniture wasn't quite it all that. But for that one brief moment he thought he was king, or at least favored dog.
kalinoodlesoup
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in Ontario, Canada with my mom, and our dog named Kali. We rescued Kali 2 years ago, and have no information about her life prior to us.

Post by kalinoodlesoup »

Kali once stole a whole chicken carcass off of the counter. She left no evidence. No counter surfing of late which is good, but she loves cucumbers and cauliflower.
Kalinoodlesoup ON Canada
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

So was she making Kali noodle soup?