Watched a storm roll in.

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Watched a storm roll in.

Post by Mark77 »

I was outside with the dogs, they were chewing on random pieces of wood. Storm rolled in, first a lot of lightening, then the wind picked up, and about an hour later it started raining. The dogs were content chewing on logs, all three just chewing away like angry little beavers. They've eaten half my wood pile it seems. They get a new log when they want. They like the firepit and just being outside. Had a fire last weekend, Riddick burned off all his whiskers again and singed the hair on his sides chasing the flames. The "puppy" malinois, Zippy- whose five years old, just likes to bite the burning floating embers. Asia my elderly reserved Dutchie tends to stay on the porch to keep cool. The older Dutchies are starting to show their age and are turning gray. I'm not sure if I'll replace them, though that was my goal at one time but seeing everything unfolding around the country- I don't know anymore. I guess it feels like a storm rolling in, whether to pack up and leave, go to another part of the country. For the time being I'm grateful for having my dogs- as these are the best dogs.

M
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Re: Watched a storm roll in.

Post by ladyjubilee »

I understand the feeling. We've considered a move, too. I just keep reminding myself that this too shall pass...in the interim you have 3 great dogs to share the fire.

Plus, you named him Riddick. He was always going to find trouble after that ;)
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Mark77 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:48 am I'm not sure if I'll replace them, though that was my goal at one time but seeing everything unfolding around the country- I don't know anymore. I guess it feels like a storm rolling in, whether to pack up and leave, go to another part of the country.
This seems like the best reason to get more dogs.

Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Oh, kissies.
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

I'll get one more, probably a male. They have their little pack thing going so I'll wait till at least one of them goes before introducing a new dog. Hopefully move somewhere with more land.
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

I'm not sure if I'll replace them, though that........
Awe, I don't know. We could never replace any of our dogs. All we could do was to add another special one to help fill that huge void left behind.
We had a storm roll in a couple days ago, lightening, thunder, a lightening strike.....
All Rocket could do is run around trying to find who was doing it and give them ....... well the dutchie creed ya know, conquer that which unsettles you. Last place you'd find him would be just kickin' back chewin'... :lol:
IDK I thought they all were this way. ;)
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

I've never seen Riddick react to any thunderstorms or fireworks. I did see him bark at a tornado once but I gave him a pass on that. My main point was that my two Dutchies are getting older, both approaching almost 9 1/2 years old- so obviously thinking maybe I should get another pup. However with all this chaos going on- not sure about the timing.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

How do you think the older dogs would handle a puppy?
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

ladyjubilee wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:37 pm How do you think the older dogs would handle a puppy?
They'd probably think it's a oppossum and try to eat it. Just have to introduce them slowly. I would never want any of them to be alone which is what I see happening with Zoe once the older ones are gone. So that is why I'm considering this now. Maybe wait till next year and see how things go.