Black Hole

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Black Hole

Post by centrop67 »

I had a conversation with Mustang's foster today.

I will be getting some videos tomorrow to learn more about this dog.

I don't want to reveal my thoughts prematurely; but he isn't a typical DS.

More to come...
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

So they say
Tim
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Hey Mike lemme know what's up
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Hey Mike lemme know what's up
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

It looks like they got in another DS, Johnny, are have a need for a immediate foster or adoptive home. He seems to be a beautiful boy https://petstablished.com/pets/public/8 ... dget=false
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Virtual visit completed/passed. We just need to find the right dog now.

Johnny looks interesting.

I will probably be talking to his foster soon, but I am still evaluating Mustang.
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Mustang...

Michael
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Almost seems like a pup. Looks to be easy going.
Tim
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

Appears to have zero ball drive. Could be his first time seeing a ball? I don't thinkI could make a decision based off those videos other than he appears to be a nice looking young dog.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

I'm still a bit undecided, though the conversation with the breeder combined with these videos gives me a clear picture.

We'll see...
Michael
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

Do you have any information about the lines? I'd ask to see videos of the dog by itself interacting with the handler specifically checking ball drive and using a tug. She has other videos with dogs and tugs. He looks like a nice dog, he has obvious Mal and Dutch in him. He could be a very solid dog but I'd ask more questions. Maybe you need to ask yourself what your goals are with this dog. I am at the very least with this breed that a dog should be able to complete protection training. Protection sports should be an option essentially if you want to go further. Just ask for more specific videos, ask what you want to see in the dog's abilities because you want to make sure you have a solid foundation to work with.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

He was a stray who apparently spent quite some time on his own.

He's still learning to trust humans again, but he's probably young enough if he gets in a good environment. I'm up for the challenge.

He's definitely different than Radar, but I don't need another Radar.
Michael
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Henry had zero ball drive when I got him and now his ball drive is through the roof. Possible he could change once he settles in with you and learns. I think he looks like a fun dog man. Not every dutchie needs to do bite work either. Some just aren’t cut out for it and that’s okay. Depends on what you want to do.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I think he's adorable and would snap him up in a heart beat. But I guess it boils down to what you want.

What I saw in the video was a pup that REALLY likes people, but may have had some unpleasant experiences. Even in the first clip, he starts his bow to ask for play, but pulls himself back. He is obviously attached and seemingly craves attention.

I think its hard to judge a particular drive while a dog is still adjusting to safety.
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

borellar15 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:06 pm Henry had zero ball drive when I got him and now his ball drive is through the roof. Possible he could change once he settles in with you and learns. I think he looks like a fun dog man. Not every dutchie needs to do bite work either. Some just aren’t cut out for it and that’s okay. Depends on what you want to do.
I was going to say the same about Endeavor. Zero interest in balls or anything other than a tug when I got her at 15 months. Prey drive through the roof though. Now she has a favorite ball that she will literally throw at me, and she'll retrieve it way longer than my own attention span.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

Here's what I saw, the dog didn't drop his ears, seemed confident, tail up, very enthusiastic about wanting to play with the older dog. He was focused on the other dog or the handler but not so much the ball- which is fine, he probably never had a ball thrown to him. I'd say go for it.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

So. Johnny's foster apparently fell in love with him, and he is likely off the table. I've asked about 1 more DS, Dutch.

It's looking more like we'll be trying to get Mustang. I'm good with that.

https://petstablished.com/pets/public/8 ... dget=false
Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Sounds like Dutch is a cuddle bunny. Which is great, but does need to managed or it can drive you crazy. That was one of the best lessons from our first trainer.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

For all his seriousness, Radar was a giant cuddle bunny too. Leela gives us about 5 minutes and then walks away. I miss that.
Michael
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor