Boarding

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
srfrzsam
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Dog mom to 10 y/o german shepherd chow mix and 10 1/2 week old Dutchie

Boarding

Post by srfrzsam »

Good morning. I have a 12 week old Dutchie and 10 year old German Shepherd chow mix. Looking for what current Dutchie owners do with there dogs if they go on vacation without them I have a lady who stays at my home for my older dog and can do the same for my Dutchie baby. But if boarding is something he could potentially enjoy then I would like to do that for him. I am not a fan of dog parks and wonder if daycare time situation for dogs are similar. Thank you in advance.
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Re: Boarding

Post by borellar15 »

I wouldn’t board at 12 weeks. Has he had all of his vaccinations?
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
srfrzsam
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Dog mom to 10 y/o german shepherd chow mix and 10 1/2 week old Dutchie

Post by srfrzsam »

Oh no of course not. I am thinking in the future as my first grandchild will be born in May so I want to think ahead and prepare
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

We board Bramble, the pseudo DS, but have a great young man from the neighborhood keep Casper. Bramble is boarded at the kennel where she is trained, and I feel safe that her trainer is available if needed. Plus, she gets some of the scent training that can't really be done with my son around.

However, I don't really like boarding. Her behavior ends up being off when she comes home. She bullies Casper and tests boundaries for a few weeks afterwards.

Plus they WAY over feed her. She's a sweetheart so everyone ends up slipping her treats,, in addition to the over feed. She gets plump quick! We pretty much decided that she'll just come with us from now on unless it's just totally not feasible (being service dog she can go a lot of places most dogs can't.)
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs