Training Session-1st in public step

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Training Session-1st in public step

Post by ladyjubilee »

Yesterday we had our first out in public run where my son was the handler (I did have e remote in hand).

They ACED it. I was so proud of both of them. She stayed in her modified heel position the entire time and really focused in on him. Only once did she look to me. She did make 1 almost mistake, and started to sniff a woman who walked past. But to my total surprise before I could give a leave it, my son did a subtle leash correction and guided her back into place!

We've not taught him leash correction. We didn't think he could process that many concepts. But, I'm so proud of him, it was just a subtle correction, super gentle totally appropriate and so natural. (Keep in mind he's non verbal, so his only communication form is the leash.)

I am always so amazed by their relationship. We would have never qualified for a service dog through a program due to my son's behaviors. On paper, this should never have worked, Bramble is a super sweetheart, but she is also stubborn and will "flip the paw" at me and even her trainers. But the two just work so well together.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Training Session-1st in public step

Post by centrop67 »

Awesome!
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers