RIP Kenja, B.H.: Passing the collar to Serephina

In remembrance of our lost friends
kenjaandserephina
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I put a B.H. on my first Dutchie. She went everywhere with me until she passed at age 9. It took me seven years of mourning to get over Kenja's passing. I just got another at 10 mo. old, no training, no bad handling--raw engergy which I have been shaping the last 2.5 months. Serephina (officially named "Banshee") is a naturally talented working dog--she practically teaches heself. High prey drive, wants the man not the tug (we aren't to sleeve yet). Tug more than food--by far. Loves to work, loves to please her new Dad. Loves her new Mom, and four K9 siblings also (a Shih Tzu, Boxer/Bulldog mix who is blind, Chihuahua, and some kind of poodle mix). Serephina already shepherds the Shih Tzu and Chihuahua when they are in the yard, by laying on the hill and watching over them as they sun.

RIP Kenja, B.H.: Passing the collar to Serephina

Post by kenjaandserephina »

Kenja passed in 2012. I grieved for seven years before I was ready to get another Dutchie.

I have had many GSD's, and they are great dogs, but there simply isn't any comparison to a Dutchie. A well bred and well trained Dutchie is, as I see them, like a GSD on steroids and speed. Smart, really smart. Fast, really fast. Fighters to the last breath. Playful jokesters who really want to please you. Kenja was all of these. Losing Kenja was losing part of my self and my soul. I grieved very, very hard for a very, very long time.

The first picture of Kenja is taken in front of the police K9 memorial at the University of California, Davis. The second picture is of her on the grass at one of the fields we trained in each day, on the UCD campus. This second picture is all over the internet. I put it on wikipedia's Dutchie page about 10 years ago and many groups have taken and used it, which is fine. If you search "kenja" and "dutch shepherd" you will see my girl sitting on the grass with a huge, "let's go train, Dad" smile (or maybe it was, "Let's go train Dad"). Other pictures I put up of her, many years ago, have been taken and used commercially, which is also OK. It is an homage to my best working dog, ever. RIP Kenja.

After seven years I was ready to get another Dutchie. I contacted North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue (http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org). After they thoroughly checked me out to be sure I can handle a Dutchie, they introduced me to a very high energy, very high drive, very smart and talented 10 mo. DS puppy who had been fostered by super-trainer Charles Wong (http://www.k9ts.org). Mr. Wong and Super Foster Mom Pauline K. had rescued an entire litter of DS pups from good lines of working parents.

The pup is officially named "Banshee", which means Irish demon who screams just before someone is to die, which is an appropriate name if one knows what a Dutchie on "packen" or "revere" can do. But, alas, my much-loved wife wanted a different name to use at home; so, we chose "Serephina". If you are at a SchH trial, and a dog is introduced as "Banshee", but you hear her called "Serephina", you will know it is us. I only intend to do a B.H., probably in 2021. After that, we will do protection work on a private basis with Mr. Wong. I love SchH clubs that are positive, (e.g., Way Out West), but, I don't have the time to join a club.

These last seven years I kept Kenja's rolled leather collar, small prong training collar, and trial leash on the shelf above my desk, along with the urn of her ashes. Each day as I work, Serephina lays at the base of the bookshelf, next to me. Then it struck me--Serephina has Kenja's spirit. They could pass as twins both for looks, drive, and spirit. So, I put Kenja's rolled collar on Serephina and I started using Kenja's leash with her. This is a magical continuation in the best sort of way. Not surprisingly, the collar fit perfectly and Serephina loves to get leashed because she knows it is training time.

Two pictures of Serephina are attached also. One is of a curious 11 mo. old pup exploring her new yard while being ever alert, and the other is right after training when she is relaxing. If you look carefully, yes--she is wearing Kenja's collar in both pictures.

Thanks for reading this,

Dad to Kenja and Serephina
Attachments
kenja_at_police_k9_memorial.jpg
kenja_at_police_k9_memorial.jpg (192.69 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
kenja1.jpg
kenja1.jpg (50.83 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
Serephina the alert 11 mo old puppy.jpg
Serephina the alert 11 mo old puppy.jpg (427.42 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
Serephina_upside_down_in_kennel.PNG
Serephina_upside_down_in_kennel.PNG (634.18 KiB) Viewed 5596 times
Last edited by kenjaandserephina on Mon May 13, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: RIP Kenja, B.A., pic in front of of UCD Police K9 memorial

Post by centrop67 »

Sorry for your loss.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Brindle Lake Dog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: This is my first Dutchie. I’ve trained field trial labs and a Malinois in IPO. Lost my Mal to cancer at age 11 and wasn’t really looking for a pup yet.
I got a call from my old training director letting me know he had just the pup for me: A Dutchie...
It just sort of happened and now I have a brindle Fur Missile living with me. His name is Jaguar; Jag for short.

Post by Brindle Lake Dog »

I know the loss hurts but she provided you with many wonderful memories and enriched your life.
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Sounds like your new dog will fill the void that Kenya left. Hope you get many rewarding years with her.
Tim
kenjaandserephina
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I put a B.H. on my first Dutchie. She went everywhere with me until she passed at age 9. It took me seven years of mourning to get over Kenja's passing. I just got another at 10 mo. old, no training, no bad handling--raw engergy which I have been shaping the last 2.5 months. Serephina (officially named "Banshee") is a naturally talented working dog--she practically teaches heself. High prey drive, wants the man not the tug (we aren't to sleeve yet). Tug more than food--by far. Loves to work, loves to please her new Dad. Loves her new Mom, and four K9 siblings also (a Shih Tzu, Boxer/Bulldog mix who is blind, Chihuahua, and some kind of poodle mix). Serephina already shepherds the Shih Tzu and Chihuahua when they are in the yard, by laying on the hill and watching over them as they sun.

Thanks. I updated with a lot more interesting info and 3 more pictures. Have a great day, Eric
centrop67 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:20 am Sorry for your loss.
kenjaandserephina
Just Whelped

Thanks. I updated with a lot more interesting info and 3 more pictures. Have a great day, Eric
Brindle Lake Dog wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:07 pm I know the loss hurts but she provided you with many wonderful memories and enriched your life.
kenjaandserephina
Just Whelped

Tim91118 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:59 pm Sounds like your new dog will fill the void that Kenya left. Hope you get many rewarding years with her.
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Re: RIP Kenja, B.H.: Passing the collar to Serephina

Post by Mark77 »

It sounds like your first dog had a good life and was well loved. Then you gave your new dog a deserving home.

"A dog's last Will and Testament".

Before humans die, they write their last will and testament, giving their home and all they have to those they leave behind. If, with my paws, I could do the same, this is what I’d ask…

To a poor and lonely stray, I’d give my happy home; my bowl and cozy bed, soft pillow and all my toys; the lap, which I loved so much; the hand that stroked my fur; and the sweet voice that spoke my name.

I’d will to the sad, scared, shelter dog the place I had in my human’s loving heart, of which there seemed no bounds.

So, when I die, please do not say, “I will never have a pet again, for the loss and the pain is more than I can stand.”

Instead, go find an unloved dog, one whose life has held no joy or hope, and give my place to him.

This is the only thing I can give…

The love I left behind.

– Author Unknown