Dog just sits when trying to learn

General issues of training/education
MandyPandy
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just adopted a 5y/o Dutch Shepherd named Mia :)

Dog just sits when trying to learn

Post by MandyPandy »

Hi there

I’m finding myself getting a little frustrated through no fault but my own.

I’ve been trying to train Mia to heel for a few weeks now, using treats and toys as a reward, but she always sits or lies down and won’t follow the treat/toy to learn to heel.

I know she doesn’t understand what shes supposed to do but how can I train her if she is just resorting to sitting/lying?

Has anyone else had this issue? How can I overcome this?
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: Dog just sits when trying to learn

Post by Tim91118 »

Many YouTube videos that will help you with this. Try Leerburg.
I would work with what motivates her the most ......is this food or toy ?
Tim
MandyPandy
Just Whelped

Post by MandyPandy »

Toy but she just thinks I want her to sit or lie down and will not move whilst i am holding it.
MandyPandy
Just Whelped

Post by MandyPandy »

Thanks for the advice i will look through Youtube again
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

When Bramble first started training she did this weird thing thing where she would sort of scramble crawl instead of walk. The trainer said in 20 years he'd never seen a dog do this. What he had me do was a small leash correction to show that wasn't what I wanted, combined with me just walking, but fast enough for her to have to move. It took about two tries for her to understand the command meant we walk, not scramble or sit. Then we focused on molding the walk to where heel actually is.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
MandyPandy
Just Whelped

Post by MandyPandy »

Wow that’s great advice thanks so much i’ll try this.
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

You have to do the moving. Use the toy as a lure and move her along. Technique is critical in having her eyes follow the toy. Other things have to be in place also....like a starting position etc.
Tim
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

I've found that a new place, open field and jogging around gets them motivated to get on their feet. I start with a long line to get them to pay attention and go the opposite direction they want to so they understand they are not leading. If they have to watch you to know which way to go, they figure it out they can't do that in front of you. Then I swich off back and forth from the long line and walking leash. Then its the usual right turns on lagging and distancing away from you and left turns on leading; presuming you heel her on the left.
Yep we drive on the right side of the road in America. :D
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

do you have a leash on her so you can use the leash to show her what you want? I also suggest Leerburgh. You have to tell her what you want first, then when she does it, reward.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

When I first got Radar, I was working with a trainer on recall with a long leash. Smarty pants Radar pretty much knew what to do already including going right into a heel on the first try. The trainer looked at me and was like WOW he has some training already.

Each subsequent recall he started to get more sloppy about the whole thing - like he was bored (Daddy, I already know this stuff lets play).

I basically had to amp up the excitement - make it more fun - to get him to do what I needed. I think that's one possible answer - make it fun for both of you.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Yea kinda hard to judge what you’re doing wrong without seeing it in a video or something but it could be a number of things. Could be where or how your holding the reward, could be the reward is not high value enough, etc. As some others also stated some leash pressure will help as well. If it were me, depending on what type of heel you’re trying to teach I would first start with the starting head position. To do that I would start with touch pad work. Just how I would do it personally.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

For those that are new, cough me cough, what exactly is touch pad work?
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

A touch pad is any kind of target object elevated off the ground that they put their front paws on. It can be an empty food bowl that you simply turn upside down. You lure the dog into the touch pad with food, mark it with a clicker and give the reward. After the dog understands that it is supposed to put its paws on the touch pad you can do a lot of things with it. One of which being teaching head position of your heel. Stand by the touch pad and hold the treat at your waste. As they walk up onto the pad you mark it and give them the reward. Once they’ve got that down you can begin turns around the touchpad. You should be able to slowly step to 90 degrees from your starting position and they will (with some guidance) begin to swing their butt around back into position at your new position. I would get it to where you can basically make circles around the pad with them staying by your side in heel position before stepping off of the touch pad. The touch pad is also where I would cue in my command. Once they know they are supposed to be at your left side with paws on the touch pad you say your command and when they do it, mark and reward. I think I have a video of some early touch pad work I did with Zoey..I’ll see if I can sort through my phone and find it.
Image Image
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

This video is a little bit better than any of my old videos as he’s got commentary with it.

Image Image
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

That is an good video. Our trainer hasn't focused on a true head position for Bramble, and her heel is looser. It falls in the range he describes as "just what you use for a walk". Bram will need to heel to the handler, while working for her boy. Basically, she is heeled to the handler, while my son walks with her on the other side (currently he uses a leash to the harness, but as we get more coordinated will use a handle.)

It seems like purpose moulds not just how the behavior is shaped but also the training technique. Would knowing the purpose for Mia's heel help determine training recommendations?
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

That’s a very good question. I made the decision from the beginning that I would not compete with my dog. This requires more knowledge and learning from the owner than what is required from the dog. It’s nice to see a proper competitive heel from a dog, but is it realistic for someone who is not competing ?
Tim
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

when I trained the heel, I had my tug, the tug was thalies favorite so it was a high reward, I had it up in my hand and she would l ook at it the whole time so she learned to look at me always no matter what, that also keeps the body right at my leg.
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Tim91118 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:13 pm That’s a very good question. I made the decision from the beginning that I would not compete with my dog. This requires more knowledge and learning from the owner than what is required from the dog. It’s nice to see a proper competitive heel from a dog, but is it realistic for someone who is not competing ?
no, you dont have to but Sadie is not at "tight " as Thalie was and I really like it better when they are tight to my leg, but thats just me. You can also teach them to be tight to you at certain times.

When we would go for casual walks, thalie and sadie knew they could wander and go sniff and so on , then I just gave the heal command and they would pair up tight to my leg when I needed them to.
ImageImage
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

When it comes to the "you can wander" walk we use "with me", mainly cause it just kept slipping out when I started walking :) Poor Bramble, if there is some way to make training more difficult, I find it.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ladyjubilee wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:57 pm When it comes to the "you can wander" walk we use "with me", mainly cause it just kept slipping out when I started walking :) Poor Bramble, if there is some way to make training more difficult, I find it.
any cue is fine as long as its consistant. Mine is just " SADIE !" and she usually figures it out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImage