Featured Topics
To DS, or not to DS?
What's the buzz on DNA Tests?
A Malaherd?
Submissiveness
This should be read by everyone
How To Select/Research a Breeder
Other brindle breeds

Click Here for the forum Image Facebook page.

Just registered? Read This.

Very sad.. My 5 month DS... trainers keep telling return to breeder.

ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Re: Very sad.. My 5 month DS... trainers keep telling return to breeder.

Post by ladyjubilee »

Maybe you could ask folks on the forum for a trainer recommendation. I know I was given some good leads.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs

Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

ICE wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:42 pm
Took me awhile to decide if I was even going to chime in here......... spend some time teaching your dog and building a relationship without physically controlling him.....
I think you nailed it ICE.
Rocket bites, speaks his mind and still does not like the leash.
This morning Rocket brought me the hamburger I didn't finish yesterday to ask my permission if he could have it.
Can you believe it? A beef hamburger pattie.
Freaked me out.
But what do I know.
I love my dog.
:DSlove:
Last edited by Laplaiefier on Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don3211
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Bullet is a 3-month-old Dutch shepherd.

Post by Don3211 »

"Rocket bites speak his mind and still does not like the leash."

When you say Rocket bites- does he bite you and your family and/ or strangers?

Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

Don3211 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:31 am
When you say Rocket bites- does he bite you and your family and/ or strangers?
I'm sure he would bite an intruder especially if they take a swing at him. When he was about 2-1/2 months we had our first real fight over his food. And again at about 4 months over meat in his dish. Got me a good one and he got a good head slapping. We sat across the room staring at each other, me bleeding and him kinda bewildered for about 10 min. Then I gave him a goodie. He had accepted me.

Nowdays I doubt I could win without a tool and he still has attitude and we play fairly rough. I feel sorry for anyone that ever tries to take a swing at us. The teeth come out if he thinks his people are threatened.
So I believe there is a place and time for bonking but is not appropriate for or to induce fear.
I must have a weirdo because he wants to conquer anything that intimidates him. Only time Rocket gets bonked is when he gets hit in the back of the head with a tennis ball. But he's having fun because he gets to bite it.
:fencing:

Addit: Can you believe the sheriff's dept passed him over?

ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Is there any update? Have you found a good trainer?
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs

shadowthepatriot808
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi

Post by shadowthepatriot808 »

Get a stronger trainer. The dog needs a pincher collar and a strong owner. Correction is natural in the dog world. If you cannot spend the time to understand this dogs soul and allow the dog to understand your soul than why do you have this breed? What is the dogs purpose in life for you? A golden retriever might be better.

Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own two Dutchies and a Mal.

Post by Mark77 »

The trainer should be working at Petsmart sweeping the floors not working as a working dog trainer. Get another trainer, not some asshat whose trying to break the dog into compliance making it handler aggressive. I used treats with my dogs until they could do all the commands then only use a correction collar once they understand all the commands. People who use correction collars or prong collars during the initial training phase when the dog doesn't know anything are trying to speed up the training "process" but in doing so end up ruining the dog.

SEL
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I live in Arizona and have an 8 year old female DS and 2 to 3 year old male DS mix

Post by SEL »

Mark just said pretty much exactly what Mike Ritland says in his online training course. I signed up about a month ago (there's a 50% coupon, not bad). I read one of Mike Ritland's book about a year ago and was interested, one of the trainers I like because he has worked with extreme high drive dogs, but isn't a heavy-handed, forceful kind of trainer. To start off he stresses building a relationship with the dog first. Especially if there isn't a good one already, spend a month just on that. It's an important foundation because the dog should WANT to do things for the owner, not be forced to do them. Then at least five to six months shaping and reinforcing behaviors/obedience (using treats or toy reward, a clicker for marking if desired, especially in some situations). His points re corrections: Don't correct when you're angry, don't over-correct - use only what's necessary to get point across, stop correction when the dog ceases the unwanted behavior, don't correct if the dog doesn't know or is confused about why he/she is being corrected. Prong and e-collar are used only AFTER spending the appropriate amount of time, the five to six months, of training and making sure the dog really knows it first. That would be last resort kind of thing. If someone hasn't actually put in that amount of time and effort into training, then it's not fair to just stick an e-collar on the dog and correct them and expect them to understand. If someone really hasn't spent the time, then they need to go back and do it again. Also, part of the relationship aspect, is building trust with the dog and not breaking it. Treat it as fragile; if trust is broken with a dog it's hard to get that back. It's easier to break trust with some dogs more than others. You can easily break trust with a dog if you get angry and over-correct, hit a dog, force a dog into positions, etc. They won't trust you, they won't WANT to do anything for you, they might just do it out of fear, but that will ruin a dog.
He also has a section about establishing leadership with the dog. It's not about being heavy handed or forceful. It's body language, voice, the relationship with the dog, etc. More than I can get into here, but good information.
I've personally seen someone misuse an e-collar and the bad consequences that resulted. Years ago when I first got Idna, a neighbor down the street had just got a lab puppy. The idiotic trainer they went to told them to stick an e-collar on the puppy. They would let the puppy off leash at the park, but when it ran around trying to play with other dogs and got too excited, they'd shock it and it would yelp and run and hide between the legs of the nearest person. I wanted to tell them they were messing up their dog, but I knew they wouldn't listen to me, I was not the supposedly knowledgeable trainer. Months later, when that lab was fully grown, I would walk down the street and pass those people walking their lab and their lab would bark and lunge at Idna. I guess that when they shocked their puppy when it ran around trying to play with other dogs the dog made the association that other dogs = getting shocked and then started trying to keep other dogs away. I felt so bad for that dog. But one other thing I also learned is just because someone calls themselves a dog trainer doesn't mean they are any good at what they do. There are a lot of bad trainers and a lot of good ones. I've found that all the good ones that I've learned from over the years use similar methods.
Idna (9 yrs) & Laszlo (2-3 yrs) in AZ