No Collar Option

ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

No Collar Option

Post by ladyjubilee »

Our trainer suggested I ask around, so I am asking.

Bramble had to go to the vet this weekend (she got into the dog food) and a persistent cough seemed to worsen. The vet said she has early signs of a collapsing trachea and to only use a harness. I did let her know the next step of training will be off leash with ecollar, which she said is fine since it doesn't put any pressure on the throat. However, I have already tried 5 different harnesses with her, each a different style, and she wiggles, backs and contorts out of each one.

I used to use a Gentle Leader with my first Dalmatian, and it worked great. Buttons was "aggressive", but the head harness seemed to calm her. But our trainer said he doesn't like the head harness because it keeps them from free moment. Which I can understand.

But I do need a way to pull Bramble back, primarily from other dogs. She has that switch, and I'm still learning how to deal with it.

Since she is in service training, we will definitely be out and about a great deal.

Does anyone have a recommendation? She is now up to 50lbs and definitely still growing.

The vet tech said two other things I forgot to ask the trainer about. She said I needed to sign her up for Schutzhund training, because of the socialization aspect where they learn to stay while the other dogs work. I thought that was protection training and the complete opposite direction her training should take as service dog. Frankly for fun, I thought Tribeball or dock diving. But she (a GSD owner) said it was good for all shepherds like Bramble. So, am I misunderstanding? Is that really something I should consider? (I so hope not.)

She also said I needed to keep dog probiotic on hand, because shepherds need it to help digestion.

Whew, and I thought Dals were hard with their energy and tendency to bite and have kidney problems.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: No Collar Option

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

I would def stay away from schutzhund... vets are stupid and know nothing about training honestly listen to your trainer! Since are starting the remote you shouldn't need a harness
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

If she is going to be a service dog do not do any protection training. The harness encourages pulling and drive. if you are doing ecollar work, that should be fine and no harness will be needed.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I thought I'd read something on here this year about a lead/leash that basically had a loop that goes atound the abdomen. Would anything like that be helpful?
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

TimL_168 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:17 am I thought I'd read something on here this year about a lead/leash that basically had a loop that goes atound the abdomen. Would anything like that be helpful?
That's not really training it's more masking the behavior like a halty does
Last edited by Steve Gossmeyer on Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:46 am
TimL_168 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:17 am I thought I'd read something on here this year about a lead/leash that basically had a loop that goes atound the abdomen. Would anything like that be helpful?
That's not really training it's more making the behavior like a halty does
Gotcha
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

So, I pretty much suck that this, and my girl is taking full advantage.

Our home vet lectured me for twenty minutes about having used a choke collar, then added that I can't use an ecollar because of her throat defect either. And that it is cruel, verging on animal abuse (which I do not believe.) Which left me without a control mechanism for the week we didn't have training. Then going into training she tried to attack another dog. Fortunately the trainer grabbed her. He was surprised she attacked because she is so submissive. I told him this is what I meant when I said she doesn't do well with other dogs.

In just minutes he was able to get her to walk past a whole row of other dogs and ignore them. The problem isn't her, it's me. I'm good at patience. I've spent so much time working human behavior modification and not escalating, I don't react strongly enough. I have to be assertive, even without the tools. I was relying on the tool and not changing me.

So if anyone has any pointers for no collar human training, I could really use it. My home work for this week command, two seconds, reprimand (regular collar tug toward the back of the neck not front), command and repeat without getting anxious, till she does sit/down/stay completely solid in the home setting. We've pretty much taken a step back.
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Looks like you pretty much have the problem diagnosed. Besides your homework, read as much info you can find on being “ the pack leader “
Tim
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Listen to your trainer and stop asking for advice elsewhere! Seriously stick to your trainers program!
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Tim91118 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:05 pm Looks like you pretty much have the problem diagnosed. Besides your homework, read as much info you can find on being “ the pack leader “
That pack leader stuff is nonsense just train the dog
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

What is the disadvantage of getting a variety of opinions? (Serious question.) I am following what trainer says the best I can. Except during the two weeks that just happened to coincide with the vets finding the trachea defect and not being able to go to training. The trainer suggested I ask about the harness online, as he does not normally recommend using a harness (obvious reasons).
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Sticking to one program is the best for your dog! That way he isnt confused with too many different programs!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Not everything everyone else tells you will work for your dog. too many cooks spoil the pot. What works for mine may just mess up yours. My trainer never told me to ask around. I only took his direction and trained very good dogs.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Hey I’m camp natural parenting/ dog owner. Let them be dogs.
No training. No collar. No sit, no stay no down....
Just Kidding!!!!!! I’m reading all this and still learning.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG