Featured Topics
To DS, or not to DS?
What's the buzz on DNA Tests?
A Malaherd?
Submissiveness
This should be read by everyone
How To Select/Research a Breeder
Other brindle breeds

Click Here for the forum Image Facebook page.

Just registered? Read This.

Need Dog Food Recomendation

Dietary/feeding issues
ladyjubilee
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Apparently I just adopted a Dutch Shepherd. My experience have been with Dalmatians. The shelter listed her as a 3 year old Dutch Shepherd, which truthfully I didn't even know was a breed. I picked her because she is so sweet and energetic. But looking at the forum, I'm wondering if I might have taken on more than I will be able to handle. I did reach out to s DS rescue and they say she does appear to be a DS. But so far she's a joy and though not trained is catching on quickly.

Need Dog Food Recomendation

Post by ladyjubilee » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:25 pm

Bramble is currently on Pro Plan's high performance brand, which the vet suggested. But I don't think it is providing enough. What dog food do you use? (For a number of reasons raw wouldn't work for us.)
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Need Dog Food Recomendation

Post by Dutchringgirl » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:31 pm

pro plan is the crappiest of crap. Go to Dogfoodadvisor.net. asking here or on FB will yield you a gazillion questions. This is your dog, you know what is needed. Look at the 5 star foods or what will fit in your budget. look at the ingredient list and do some research.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage

Jay knowles
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Post by Jay knowles » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi , I would suggest raw if it's at all possible Pepsi thrives on it and so fit and strong. Jay

ladyjubilee
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Apparently I just adopted a Dutch Shepherd. My experience have been with Dalmatians. The shelter listed her as a 3 year old Dutch Shepherd, which truthfully I didn't even know was a breed. I picked her because she is so sweet and energetic. But looking at the forum, I'm wondering if I might have taken on more than I will be able to handle. I did reach out to s DS rescue and they say she does appear to be a DS. But so far she's a joy and though not trained is catching on quickly.

Post by ladyjubilee » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:51 pm

Unfortunately raw wouldn't work. My son might touch it, and it's hard to carry around raw food.

Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own two Dutchies and a Mal.

Post by Mark77 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:14 am

I feed my dogs Fromm either from the Gold or Four Star line.

Brindle Lake Dog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: This is my first Dutchie. I’ve trained field trial labs and a Malinois in IPO. Lost my Mal to cancer at age 11 and wasn’t really looking for a pup yet.
I got a call from my old training director letting me know he had just the pup for me: A Dutchie...
It just sort of happened and now I have a brindle Fur Missile living with me. His name is Jaguar; Jag for short.

Post by Brindle Lake Dog » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:56 pm

Mark77 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:14 am
I feed my dogs Fromm either from the Gold or Four Star line.
Fromm is good dog food. I started my pup on it and used to feed it to my Mal with great results.

I’ve started to feed Sportdogfood Dock Diving version and it seems to be working well too. It’s not the cheapest but it is high quality.

Disclaimer: I have always fed my dogs kibble supplemented with a raw meal in the evenings. Kibble allows us to go on great adventures where raw is just not practical.

Susannah
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 29 year old nurse. 2 year old dutch shepherd at home and iguana.

Post by Susannah » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:32 am

Dagsmark. No nothing toxins or anything. Very good quality.

Also probooster is ok,

And brit care.

My personal fafourite are dagsmark and taste of the Wild.
We still use raw food together with dogfood.

ladyjubilee
Green Dog

Post by ladyjubilee » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:39 pm

I'm trying SportDog Active series. It was highly rated at the site Dutchringgirl suggested without being grain-free

I would try raw, but the chance of my son touching raw meat is too high....and it's just more work than I can live with in my chaotic life. We do provide some non meat raw as treats though. She'll do just about anything for a piece of apple, even take a 1 second break from going after a dog.