Need Dog Food Recomendation

Dietary/feeding issues
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Need Dog Food Recomendation

Post by ladyjubilee »

Bramble is currently on Pro Plan's high performance brand, which the vet suggested. But I don't think it is providing enough. What dog food do you use? (For a number of reasons raw wouldn't work for us.)
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Need Dog Food Recomendation

Post by Dutchringgirl »

pro plan is the crappiest of crap. Go to Dogfoodadvisor.net. asking here or on FB will yield you a gazillion questions. This is your dog, you know what is needed. Look at the 5 star foods or what will fit in your budget. look at the ingredient list and do some research.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Post by Jay knowles »

Hi , I would suggest raw if it's at all possible Pepsi thrives on it and so fit and strong. Jay
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Unfortunately raw wouldn't work. My son might touch it, and it's hard to carry around raw food.
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

I feed my dogs Fromm either from the Gold or Four Star line.
Brindle Lake Dog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: This is my first Dutchie. I’ve trained field trial labs and a Malinois in IPO. Lost my Mal to cancer at age 11 and wasn’t really looking for a pup yet.
I got a call from my old training director letting me know he had just the pup for me: A Dutchie...
It just sort of happened and now I have a brindle Fur Missile living with me. His name is Jaguar; Jag for short.

Post by Brindle Lake Dog »

Mark77 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:14 am I feed my dogs Fromm either from the Gold or Four Star line.
Fromm is good dog food. I started my pup on it and used to feed it to my Mal with great results.

I’ve started to feed Sportdogfood Dock Diving version and it seems to be working well too. It’s not the cheapest but it is high quality.

Disclaimer: I have always fed my dogs kibble supplemented with a raw meal in the evenings. Kibble allows us to go on great adventures where raw is just not practical.
Susannah
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 29 year old nurse. 2 year old dutch shepherd at home and iguana.

Post by Susannah »

Dagsmark. No nothing toxins or anything. Very good quality.

Also probooster is ok,

And brit care.

My personal fafourite are dagsmark and taste of the Wild.
We still use raw food together with dogfood.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

I'm trying SportDog Active series. It was highly rated at the site Dutchringgirl suggested without being grain-free

I would try raw, but the chance of my son touching raw meat is too high....and it's just more work than I can live with in my chaotic life. We do provide some non meat raw as treats though. She'll do just about anything for a piece of apple, even take a 1 second break from going after a dog.
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

So as I mentioned I feed my dogs Fromm Gold Line or Fromm Four Star line. In addition I buy the Fromm canned food. So typically, I put the two dry food cups (female dogs) or three dry food cups (male dog) in each of their bowels. Chop one whole carrot and divide that equally between all three bowels. Then put about eight to ten blue berries in per bowel. Then I do one spoonful of coconut oil per bowel for their fur. Then three spoonfulls each of the Fromm canned food. Then use warm, not hot water over the whole thing, not to soupy. Sometimes I might add some spoonfuls of brown rice that I make separate. I also buy four to five different bags of food at a time to rotate between the different types of the base food, from say duck, to lamb, pork, or beef- so they get different base protein source every few weeks when we open a new bag.
KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is steven, I live in New York. I have an 11 month old dutch shepherd/belgian mal mix. His name is koba. Hes a spitfire.

Post by KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL »

I have my dog on a raw diet and I couldn't be happier. Hes been on it since he was 9 1/2 weeks old. His teeth are always clean. His breath never smells. His coat is also very vibrant and never has a bad dog odor. I understand the whole kids touching the food, I have no kids so I cant relate. I dont go to the store and pick out different food and prepare it. I buy from where koba was trained at called Maximum k9. They sell pre packaged frozen food all grinded up into a tube. Very easy to store and I only take out what hes going to eat in that day. Never sits out to where any bacteria can form. I was scared of the stigma with raw food but honestly would never go back. Hope this helps
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:38 am I have my dog on a raw diet and I couldn't be happier. Hes been on it since he was 9 1/2 weeks old. His teeth are always clean. His breath never smells. His coat is also very vibrant and never has a bad dog odor. I understand the whole kids touching the food, I have no kids so I cant relate. I dont go to the store and pick out different food and prepare it. I buy from where koba was trained at called Maximum k9. They sell pre packaged frozen food all grinded up into a tube. Very easy to store and I only take out what hes going to eat in that day. Never sits out to where any bacteria can form. I was scared of the stigma with raw food but honestly would never go back. Hope this helps
what is the name of the food? I used to do raw but it is hectic. I would prepare it and make patties to freeze. I am always on the look out for easy raw food.
ImageImage
KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is steven, I live in New York. I have an 11 month old dutch shepherd/belgian mal mix. His name is koba. Hes a spitfire.

Post by KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL »

The place is called maximum k9. They have it on there website. They also deliver which is so convenient.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

Rocket had a bad stomach and gut bug when we got him. We tried everything and the only thing that agreed with him was Hills Digestive Care I/D. Since its prescription it's not a long term answer so after every brand we could find and tried we landed on Chewy's American Journey. No more bad breath, gas, runs or rocks. Pardon bluntly said. Best product vs price we've found and the neighbors got some free dog food. :)
:DScool:
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

I initially tried American Journey. It made her very gassy.
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

ladyjubilee wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:01 pm I initially tried American Journey. It made her very gassy.
Ya don't know what is going to agree with them until it doesn't. We tried Blue and you could hear his stomach growl all night.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Agreed. Plus she had come from the shelter, so it could have still been her tummy adjusting and not necessarily food only.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

centrop67 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:47 pm Here's the link Lisa:

https://maximumk9service.com/maximum-k9 ... -food-diet
Im going to give this a try. I switched from Orajen to Victor but now they are both itching like crazy and Sadie has dropped weight and she is so hard to keep weight on in the first place. Plus she is 9 with double hip dysplasia and I have noticed a bit of a change now.
ImageImage
PhillipJFry
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Grace = Best Girl

Post by PhillipJFry »

I know this is a bit of an old topic but with all of the Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM) research still going on, it is tough to find a food that won't increase the risk and is still a "good" food for our dogs. The FDA is still looking into this but I think the data does look to be pointing towards a real link. As such, I think following the advice of my vet to feed a food that has completed a successful WSAVA trial is the best thing right now. Following that and using the combined resources of Tufts University Veterinarians and those provided by WSAVA itself I ended up going with Purina Pro Plan as Grace liked it best. We tried both the Focus and Savor lines and Grace had a preference for the Savor lines so now we just rotate flavors for her every so often. Purina, including the Pro Plan line, is one of the few foods that has passed a WSAVA feeding trial, along with the likes of Hill's, Royal Canin, Iams, and Eukanuba. Yes, I know it's counter-intuitive to feed one of the big brands. However, they are the ones who employ the veterinary nutritionists and scientists to do the research.

Also, for what it's worth dogfoodadvisor is a website ran by a dentist. He is not a veterinary nutritionist so please do not just blindly accept what he says as fact in the reviews. Do some foods contain ingredients that are not high quality, of course. Will dogfoodadvisor call them out, most likely. But at the same time many of the reviews will identify ingredients that are perfectly fine and healthy for dogs to eat as "controversial" because they may sound scary or do not fit into the site's general slant towards boutique, exotic, and grain-free foods.

I'm sure it's going to be a while until the FDA and others conclude their research into the DCM link to grain-free and legume-containing foods. Until that time, follow what the scientists/nutritionists are saying is best. They literally know the most on the topic.

Edit: Here is the FDA's most recent report update on the issue. I know Dutch Shepherds and Malinois don't appear in the table for "breeds most reported to FDA" but GSDs do and our dogs are not all that dissimilar.
Good Girl Grace
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Pro Plan was one of the brand's our recommended. We used it for my Dalmatians, but it upset Bramble's stomach.

We use Nutrish for Peanuts. He has always had terrible allergies...to everything! We tried all kinds of expensive foods, but Nutrish is the only food that doesn't cause him to break out...and since he's a spring chicken at 19-20 now I figure it can't be too terrible ;)