Grain free dog foods causing heart condition?

borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Re: Grain free dog foods causing heart condition?

Post by borellar15 »

centrop67 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:31 pm *** Bringing back an old post, but there's new information ***

www.petproductnews.com wrote:A group of researchers found no definitive relationship between grain-free and legume-rich diets and dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs, according to the authors of a new article published in the Journal of Animal Science.

Link to the actual Journal Article
Thanks Michael. Our vet actually just recently suggested switching from grain free and to switch to PPP which is weird cause they were largely against the DCM vs grain free stuff and recommended grain free up until now. I’m absolutely not switching to PPP but have been giving them GF mixed with grain containing food.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I know there I'd at least one study being done that meets the parameters outlined as being needed in this lit review. Bramble's old vet is participating.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

I feed my dogs either Fromm Pork and Applesauce four star blend, Taste of the Wild High Prairie (Buffalo/Lamb) or the Pacific Coast blend (salmon). However, I add rice which I make weekly then blend in carrots, broccoli and bell peppers. I don't know if grain free is bad or not but don't want to risk them eating to much grain free so I started adding the cooked rice.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Bringing back an old topic again. Someone started discussing this in one of the Facebook groups, and I posted the journal article above. As with many things scientific, there are always evolving information and counter arguments.

In this case someone posted this link https://www.docofalltrades.net/2020/06/ ... -link.html

It says that the article I posted is false pointing out that it wasn't a real scientific study and they did not share the potential conflict of interest 4 out of the 5 authors had.

The bottom line appears to be that grain-free food's benefits do not out-weigh the risk.

Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers