Gastropexy

sablethedutchie
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a 1 year old Dutch Shepherd named Sable.

Gastropexy

Post by sablethedutchie »

I have a female Dutch Shepherd that is now a year and two months. Two different vets at two different facilities have recommended she have a gastropexy when she is spayed. I hate to do more than is needed, however also see the benefits as well. We are careful that she doesn't exercise before and after she eats/drinks and can continue to do this.

What are your thoughts/opinions on gastropexy?
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Gastropexy

Post by centrop67 »

I have become skeptical of the medical professions, because of the enormous control that lies in the hands of insurance and pharmaceutical companies. That control has many in the field seeking alternative forms of profit including unnecessary procedures.

With that said, I don't know if that is the case for you. Did the vets say there was an underlying medical condition to warrant the surgery?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
sablethedutchie
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a 1 year old Dutch Shepherd named Sable.

Post by sablethedutchie »

They have stated that Dutch Shepherds with their deeper chests can be more prone to bloat. But, as you stated I worry about doing something when it is not really needed. We are very diligent on when she eats/drinks timed with any exercise.
Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Post by Jay knowles »

I’m no expert on this matter but have read a little on the subject. I feed my dog morning and evening and don’t do any exercise with her before eating or after eating a minimum half hour either way . We have experienced no problems but I’m not a vet. My dogs 21 months and very athletic in everything she does, hope this is of some help . Jay
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

This procedure is usually performed on large dogs. I would not consider a Dutch Shepherd to be a large breed at all.
Tim
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

sablethedutchie wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:04 pm They have stated that Dutch Shepherds with their deeper chests can be more prone to bloat. But, as you stated I worry about doing something when it is not really needed. We are very diligent on when she eats/drinks timed with any exercise.
Completely unnecessary. I'd take the dog to another vet entirely and never go back to anyone recommending additional surgical procedures. I've come to the point where I don't trust vets at all and realize that without an immediate emergency or provable problem such as something you can see in an x-ray- you don't do elective surgeries.