Featured Topics
To DS, or not to DS?
What's the buzz on DNA Tests?
A Malaherd?
Submissiveness
This should be read by everyone
How To Select/Research a Breeder
Other brindle breeds

Click Here for the forum Image Facebook page.

Just registered? Read This.

Name ideas

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Elysian stripes
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Soon I will be first time dutch shepherd owner. I have german hunting terrier in co-ownership.
A few months ago I have to say goodbye from my mix breed, who taught me a lot about dogs and get me into cynology - she was 16,5 years old.

Name ideas

Post by Elysian stripes »

Hi everyone.

In a week (hopefully soon) I am bringing home my first dutch shepherd. I have all prepared for her, have only trouble is finding her a name. I know it is best to bring her home and the name will come spontaneity, but I would like to have some options open.
I am looking for quite short, meaningful and not so common (positive, strong, movie/cartoon ...) name. Till now I have two options: Taipa (means spreading wings) and Tala (means wolf).

Thank you for help, have a nice day ;)
Elysian stripes

ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Re: Name ideas

Post by ladyjubilee »

It is really hard to pick a name before you know the dog's personality. I do like Tala, though. Nice meaning, while also approachable.

I suggested "Tiger" for Bramble, but my mom came up with Bramble. She looks like a dog laying in a thicket with the sunlight dappled on her fur....and she's a Missy Mess Pot, so Bramble fit. Her name sign, though, is Tiger.

Is there a language or language group you especially like?
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs

Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd female named Anja

Post by Tim91118 »

I had a nice brindle staghound named Tigress
Tim

SEL
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I live in Arizona and have an 8 year old female DS and 2 to 3 year old male DS mix

Post by SEL »

Tala, gotta say I love it! It's unique and sounds nice. See if it suits the pup when you get her. Would love to see pictures when you get her.
Idna (9 yrs) & Laszlo (2-3 yrs) in AZ

Elysian stripes
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Soon I will be first time dutch shepherd owner. I have german hunting terrier in co-ownership.
A few months ago I have to say goodbye from my mix breed, who taught me a lot about dogs and get me into cynology - she was 16,5 years old.

Ladyjubilee I like swahili and latin language. But besides that I am looking other languages, goddesses and words with meaning, not so common.

Till now I also like Tala. :D and ofcourse - pictures will come.
Elysian stripes

ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I can't help with Swahili, but will ponder Latin.

Wes Thomas
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a first time DS owner... And now a lifetime owner of the breed. I have Karma.. she's almost 2 now and is incredible. Great protection dog for my family and the most athletic dog I've ever witnessed.

Post by Wes Thomas »

Freya is the Goddess of love in Norse mythology

Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Post by Jay knowles »

How about “Rita” I think a good short name for a dog.

ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

How about Luxi....shine?

Elysian stripes
Just Whelped

I like Luxi! Also I forgot to tell you earlier - I was searching for cities/villages, countries or specialties around the world that can be used as a name. So if you have something in mind, please.
Thank you for all the options that you posted!
Elysian stripes

ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Skye is pretty, but my favorite isle is South Uist. Can't see that as a dog name though. Staffa? Skara? Manx?