10 weeks, refuses to go for walks!

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Koplinsky
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New Dutch owner from Pennsylvania, USA. I have had Shepherds before, but never a Dutch Shepherd. Joining forum for helpful information.

10 weeks, refuses to go for walks!

Post by Koplinsky »

Our boy Rex has been with us for two weeks. He is amazing, and sometimes a little bit scary! But he listens well and is adapting nicely. There's a little bit of air snapping when he gets excited and latches onto something he shouldn't, like the sofa or a blanket! But otherwise, a great pup.

This morning I took him to the park to exert some energy but he refused to walk. I didn't want to be overly pushy so we abandoned it and went home where we played and had a nice time.

What should I do to get Rex to enjoy going for walks?

Our yard is plenty big to play fetch and the like, but being able to take him places on a leash seems kind of important to learn. What should we do?
Justin T
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: 10 weeks, refuses to go for walks!

Post by Tim91118 »

Tim
Koplinsky
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New Dutch owner from Pennsylvania, USA. I have had Shepherds before, but never a Dutch Shepherd. Joining forum for helpful information.

Post by Koplinsky »

Tim91118 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:08 pm https://youtu.be/rcBRz3-HOqs
Thank you, Tim.
Justin T
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

Tim
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

Many resource materials to help you with your pups issues. The issues are all solvable. If something doesn’t work, try something else.
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

What exactly did he do to refuse? Bramble used to army crawl until she figured it out.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Koplinsky
Just Whelped

Post by Koplinsky »

ladyjubilee wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:53 pm What exactly did he do to refuse? Bramble used to army crawl until she figured it out.
He just sits and pulls back. The first time was a breeze. The second time and after, nothing. Very stubborn. No troubles practicing in the yard but at the park he won't do it.
Justin T
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Have you thought of isolating the behavior and offering treat when he walks on leash?
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

Also sounds like he is afraid of his environment. Have you tried to take him to a place like the Home Depot ? Work on socializing him to new things.
Tim