10 weeks, refuses to go for walks!

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Koplinsky
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New Dutch owner from Pennsylvania, USA. I have had Shepherds before, but never a Dutch Shepherd. Joining forum for helpful information.

10 weeks, refuses to go for walks!

Post by Koplinsky »

Our boy Rex has been with us for two weeks. He is amazing, and sometimes a little bit scary! But he listens well and is adapting nicely. There's a little bit of air snapping when he gets excited and latches onto something he shouldn't, like the sofa or a blanket! But otherwise, a great pup.

This morning I took him to the park to exert some energy but he refused to walk. I didn't want to be overly pushy so we abandoned it and went home where we played and had a nice time.

What should I do to get Rex to enjoy going for walks?

Our yard is plenty big to play fetch and the like, but being able to take him places on a leash seems kind of important to learn. What should we do?
Justin T
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: 10 weeks, refuses to go for walks!

Post by Tim91118 »

Tim
Koplinsky
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New Dutch owner from Pennsylvania, USA. I have had Shepherds before, but never a Dutch Shepherd. Joining forum for helpful information.

Post by Koplinsky »

Tim91118 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:08 pm https://youtu.be/rcBRz3-HOqs
Thank you, Tim.
Justin T
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

Tim
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

Many resource materials to help you with your pups issues. The issues are all solvable. If something doesn’t work, try something else.
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

What exactly did he do to refuse? Bramble used to army crawl until she figured it out.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Koplinsky
Just Whelped

Post by Koplinsky »

ladyjubilee wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:53 pm What exactly did he do to refuse? Bramble used to army crawl until she figured it out.
He just sits and pulls back. The first time was a breeze. The second time and after, nothing. Very stubborn. No troubles practicing in the yard but at the park he won't do it.
Justin T
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Have you thought of isolating the behavior and offering treat when he walks on leash?
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

Also sounds like he is afraid of his environment. Have you tried to take him to a place like the Home Depot ? Work on socializing him to new things.
Tim
Jbish1204
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I've grown up with dogs and I've just got an 8 week old Dutch Shepherd x Malinois mix, both parents are purebreds and from good stock. Even though she's technically mixed, her appearance reminds me that of a Dutch shepherd.

Post by Jbish1204 »

I've got the same issue with mine. She seems to be afraid to leave the house, but when we're at a certain point she'll walk with me more and more. For me having a long leash works quite well, but I can't apply any pressure, otherwise she'll stubbornly stop walking altogether.

She's absolutely wonderful when it comes to off leash walking though. Even already fetches at 13 weeks.

She will come to me when I lure her low down, however I'm 6'4, so it's not the easiest thing to do for me 😔😂
Joker
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We are city folks turned country homesteaders on an 80ac
plot of land. Currently we raise chickens and pigs with plans to add goats and maybe a cattle one day. I am w/o a dog right now and doing research before getting my next 'hired hand' :)

Post by Joker »

Tim91118 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:08 pm https://youtu.be/rcBRz3-HOqs
Being I will be getting a new dog I am in research phase, many areas, and one was potential on-line training. When I was in the DFW metroplex I had about any training at whatever frequency I wanted. Since then I have moved to the middle of nowhere-ville and in-person training will be harder to find. Example, there is an IPO training place about 2hr away and I would prefer KNPV so still looking.

Having said that I have been looking into on-line options and see you posted two Leeburg videos. That is one which I have been looking into. I liked how you could record your sessions and upload for feedback. Given the price when buying a collection of courses I wonder if they are really worth the investment? I was thinking when I get a new pup to get one of the basics and see how it works and if I found it worth while.

Do others have opinions about Leerburg? Or other courses?
Erick
Mika the Velcro dog at my feet
https://www.youtube.com/@tlchomestead