12 week puppy grabbing

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
srfrzsam
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Dog mom to 10 y/o german shepherd chow mix and 10 1/2 week old Dutchie

12 week puppy grabbing

Post by srfrzsam »

My 12 week puppy sometimes will jump up and wrap his front paws around my leg. It seems to be to be an "excitement" thing. My question is what is the best way to change this behavior? Do I redirect him with a command such as "sit"? Thanks a bunch.

Srfrzsam
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: 12 week puppy grabbing

Post by Tim91118 »

Can’t you stop him before this happens ? Seems like he is signaling his intentions.
Tim
srfrzsam
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Dog mom to 10 y/o german shepherd chow mix and 10 1/2 week old Dutchie

Post by srfrzsam »

It happens quickly but I spoke to his breeder and he said it an excitement thing. I have started using a higher value treat for commands along with flirt pole and a tug toy from the tree. The higher value treats seems to really create better engagement
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

When you see it coming I would turn away. Any allowing of the behavior to continue would be reinforcing it. If it’s not wanted turn away when he goes to do it.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
srfrzsam
Just Whelped

Post by srfrzsam »

This behavior has gotten better....just happening once and a while. It seems to be related to excitement. I do not respond to him and eventually he stops. He doing well in all other aspects as well. Thank you all
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Yay. Consistency works.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs