ICE - IGP3!!

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Re: ICE - IGP3!!

Post by ICE »

centrop67 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:18 pm I thought it went to APA this year.
that is actually the new American Schutzhund. They are just getting started.
http://leerburg.com/blog/2019/10/28/american-schutzhund-something-old-something-new-something-american/
Patty and Ice
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Thanks Patty - there is an HTTPS link to that, so I am making it clickable here -> https://leerburg.com/blog/2019/10/28/am ... -american/
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

The sport tracking is cool... Sometimes the lessons for the dog are useful. But trailing over varied terrain; often the scent doesn't lay where the footsteps were. Honestly, I think this is where I effed up my old dog. When I realized she could trail, I looked into and started training IPO style tracking. I think it made it too hard for her, and without the necessary working drive to keep looking, she just shut down when it got difficult.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

That's not too say so all that I don't appreciate the hard work that goes into the discipline!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

So which method is more likely to actually find what the dog is trying to find? One of the tasks Bramble is going to learn is to find my son on command. I'd didn't know there were different ways to search so didn't ask any questions.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

That'll probably start an argument :roll:
I really believe tracking through drive is the most effective way to go search for and find something that's missing. Gotta get in to work now. I can get into the reasons later on
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

ladyjubilee wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:52 am So which method is more likely to actually find what the dog is trying to find? One of the tasks Bramble is going to learn is to find my son on command. I'd didn't know there were different ways to search so didn't ask any questions.
With my limited experience in mind, I would say the trailing or SAR is the best method for trying to find your son. The IPO/IGP method is more for sport as we are judged on the dogs pace, form and nose to the ground at all times. It is a big no no in sport for a dog to lift his head and start running toward the target...
Patty and Ice
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Ah, and that no no would be exactly what we need. I want her to go to him as fast and loud as possible.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs