Gotcha Day for Leela

centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Gotcha Day for Leela

Post by centrop67 »

It was a week of panic, sadness, but ultimately elation.

Her shelter name was Gypsy, and when I went to pick her up from Miami Dade Animal Services, they told me I couldn't adopt her. She was on "the list" for an adoption event over the weekend, so I would have to go to the event to adopt her. She was healthy at that moment.

A few days later, and I am at the event at 7am (doesn't open until 9am) - First in line.

Panic settled in as I had a hard time finding her. There weren't that many dogs. When I finally found her it wasn't the same dog I met just a few days earlier - Emaciated, weak, a frightened.

I took her straight to the vet where the news wasn't so good - possibly distemper, normally fatal.

However, a few days later we received better news, just a bad respiratory infection. She recovered quickly with the right meds.

Fast forward to today. She's a total bitch, but Leela (Not a DS) is happy and healthy. And, a big giant ham.

Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Re: Gotcha Day for Leela

Post by ladyjubilee »

I'm glad you were able to get her. She is so pretty.

I wonder sometimes about shelter rules. Why make a dog wait when they had no idea if you'd actually be back, and if not would someone pick her.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs