Are Dutch Shepherds Good Off-Leash?

General "standards" discussion not specifically related to the coat variety
Sunia2323
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I currently have a German Shepherd/Husky mix and 2 cats. I've always loved being around animals and that's where my friends would find me whenever I was at a party, with the animals. I've wanted a Dutch Shepherd for years now and hopefully soon I will have one of my own.

Are Dutch Shepherds Good Off-Leash?

Post by Sunia2323 »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I have a question that I couldn't find the answer to so I'd thought I'd ask here :D

I'm very interested in getting a DS soon and I wanted to know if DSs are good off-leash. I live in an area with plenty of mountain hiking trails where dogs are allowed and I loved taking my German Shepherd on them. At the end of some hikes there are lakes where we relax for a while and my GSD would just smell the grass and explore close to me. We would also occasionally camp in the mountains as well. I would walk her off-leash in parks and she would sniff, do her business, and then would soon join me.She always stayed near me and never strayed far. I would take her to so many trips where I would be hiking and such. She sadly passed away a few years ago but I loved those kinds of adventures I took with her and would love to have another canine companion to explore with.

Of course, every dog is different but is the DS breed known to stay close to their owners or are they the escape artists that will look for any opportunity to run off without a care in the world?
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Are Dutch Shepherds Good Off-Leash?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

working breeds are great off leash with good training. My Thalie used to come mountain biking with me all of the time. She would stay on the trail ahead of me. If she got too far ahead, she would come back for me. Sometimes she would go a bit into the woods but never far and I never lost her. She was also trained to whistle recall so if she did get a bit far for my liking I just whistle.

Working breeds are great for this stuff. Just to a ton of recall work.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Post by Jay knowles »

My dog is 10 months old and never ventures far from us and recall is good. We trained her on a long leash from about 12 weeks. When I eventually let her off she just never went much further than the long leash which is about 10m. If she ever misbehaves we put her straight back on a lead for a while. Hope this helps ,Jay
Brindle Lake Dog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: This is my first Dutchie. I’ve trained field trial labs and a Malinois in IPO. Lost my Mal to cancer at age 11 and wasn’t really looking for a pup yet.
I got a call from my old training director letting me know he had just the pup for me: A Dutchie...
It just sort of happened and now I have a brindle Fur Missile living with me. His name is Jaguar; Jag for short.

Post by Brindle Lake Dog »

I think any dog can be a good off leash dog but the recall has the be in place. The key is training, training, training, and consistency.

I used to live near the mountains and my Mal went on all hikes and camping trips with me. I found a key command for me was “far enough”, when he heard that he knew to stop and wait until I gave to ok to proceed command.

I intend on doing similar activities with my Dutchie pup so we are focusing on commands and expectations. Set the dog up for success by putting in the time and effort early and you’ll have a wonderful outdoor companion.

If you’ve done this with your GSD you can do it with a Dutchie.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Brindle Lake Dog wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:34 am I think any dog can be a good off leash
you have'nt had a hound :lol: :lol: :lol: :pint: :pint: :eek: :eek:
ImageImage
Sunia2323
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I currently have a German Shepherd/Husky mix and 2 cats. I've always loved being around animals and that's where my friends would find me whenever I was at a party, with the animals. I've wanted a Dutch Shepherd for years now and hopefully soon I will have one of my own.

Post by Sunia2323 »

Thank you guys for the replies! I'm so happy to hear that a Dutchie is a great hiking companion! I can't wait to go on more adventures :D
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

why do you want this breed? Any working breed will be good hiking
ImageImage
Sunia2323
Just Whelped

Post by Sunia2323 »

I think the breed is beautiful and I love the shepherd breeds. I've been around shepherd dogs all my life and I love how intelligent and loyal they are. I also want a dog that will be good for hikes and such as well.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sunia2323 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:42 pm I think the breed is beautiful and I love the shepherd breeds. I've been around shepherd dogs all my life and I love how intelligent and loyal they are. I also want a dog that will be good for hikes and such as well.
this breed is not like other shepherd breeds, I had a pitt rott mix who was wonderful on hikes. just an FYI
ImageImage
Brindle Lake Dog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: This is my first Dutchie. I’ve trained field trial labs and a Malinois in IPO. Lost my Mal to cancer at age 11 and wasn’t really looking for a pup yet.
I got a call from my old training director letting me know he had just the pup for me: A Dutchie...
It just sort of happened and now I have a brindle Fur Missile living with me. His name is Jaguar; Jag for short.

Post by Brindle Lake Dog »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:51 am
Brindle Lake Dog wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:34 am I think any dog can be a good off leash
you have'nt had a hound :lol: :lol: :lol: :pint: :pint: :eek: :eek:
:lmao: this is true. I prefer a more “quiet dog”. Ironically my new pup is a real motor- mouth :music2:
Susannah
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 29 year old nurse. 2 year old dutch shepherd at home and iguana.

Post by Susannah »

I say not just breed question. Training is the key, but, dutch is difficult freeroaming cause traits. They have huge preydrive, and it can go easily on.

So if u want good hiking companion, Take breed with low preydrive, so it is More easily trained.

My last dutch girl was like a shadow with me, but no, one time raddit runs 2 meters from us and there went dog. Was away half hour.

We did much training, but that was still too much for her.

Tend To say, mixshowline gsd is very easy with freeroaming. Drives not so high, so easy.

This puppy i have now, ds purebred, so much independence, Drives so high, its lot, lot of work To get him To leave all moving objects alone. And i know for sure, if rabbit comes from a Bush its tapped seal, of he goes.
Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Post by Jay knowles »

Pepsi is good off the lead and still never really leaves our side and I put this down to training on the long leash. If we recall her she is straight back, not that she ever really strays very far. Jay