FCI Standard

Jan
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.

FCI Standard

Post by Jan »

Breed Standard
FCI Standard for the Dutch Shepherd

GENERAL APPEARANCE: a medium-sized, middleweight, well-proportioned, well-muscled dog of powerful, well-balanced structure, with intelligent expression and lively temperament.

CHARACTERISTICS: affectionate, obedient, tractable, alert, very faithful and reliable, undemanding, with plenty of stamina, vigilant, active and gifted with the true shepherd temperament.

SIZE: the length of the body exceeds the height at the withers in a ration of ten to nine. Size: dogs (22.44" - 24.41"), bitches (21.65" - 24.41")

VARIATIONS: according to the coat, variations are divided into: short coat, long coat, rough coat.

GAIT-MOVEMENT: smooth, supple, true. The movement should be neither constrained nor floating, nor too far-reaching.

PARTS OF THE BODY:

Head: in good proportion to the body, more long than massive, without wrinkles and dry. The muzzle is slightly longer than the skull, which should be flat. The top line of the muzzle is straight and runs parallel with the skull top line. Slight stop. Lips tight. In the rough-coated variety, the head appears more square, but this is an illusion.

Ears: rather small than large. When the dog is alert, they are carried rather forward. They are set high. Not spoon shaped.

Eyes: dark, medium-sized, almond shaped, placed somewhat obliquely, not round or bulging.

Nose: always black.

Teeth: powerful and regular. Scissors-bite.

Neck: the neck should not be too short. It is dry, i.e. without dewlap, and flowing gently into the top line of the body.

Body: firm; slight spring of ribs, Chest deep but not narrow. Brisket flowing gently into the underline. Back short, straight and powerful. Loin firm, not long or narrow. The croup must not be short or too sloping.

Forequarters: powerful, well muscled and with good bone. Overall straight, but with sufficient spring of pastern. Well laid back shoulders lie close to the rib cage. Upper arm of good length.

Hindquarters: powerful, well muscled and with good bone, forming a normal angle at the stifle joint; thus the thigh is not excessively out of the perpendicular. In the hock a moderate angle is desired so that the hock is perpendicularly below the ischium.

Feet: well arched toes; closely knit, which avoids long feet. Black nails; elastic dark pads.

Tail: at rest, the tail should hang straight, or genly curved, reaching the hock. In action, carried gracefully upwards, never curled nor falling sideways.

Faults: too much white on chest or on feet; white stripes or spots in any other part of the body. Nose other than black. Drop ears or spoon-shaped ears. Wrong color, mismarking. Too much black in the topcoat. Overshot or undershot mouth. Cropped ears. Docked tail. Curled tail.

Note: male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

PARTICULARS FOR THE COAT-VARIETIES

Short Coat: all over the body a quite hard coat, not too short, with a woolly undercoat. Ruff, trousers and feathered tail must be apparent.
Color: more or less pronounced brindle on a brown ground (gold brindle) or on a grey ground (silver brindle). Brindle all over the body, also in the ruff, trousers and tail. Much black in the upper coat is undesirable. A black mask preferred.

Long Coat: all over the body a long, straight close-lying coat harsh to the touch, without curls or waves, with a woolly undercoat. Head, ears, feet and the hind legs below the hocks should be covered with short, dense hair. The back of forelegs show a strongly developed coat, which becomes shorter towards the feet (feathers). The tail is heavily coated all over. No feather on ears.
Color: same colors as for the short coat.

Rough Coat: all over the body, a thick, rough, harsh, tousled coat with a dense, woolly undercoat. The coat shoud be dense. Upper lip and under lip should be well furnished with hair, not soft but off-standing (whiskers and beard). Eyebrows are rough and off-standing. The hair on the skull and on the cheeks and ears is less strongly developed. Tail heavliy coated. Well-developed culottes are required (breeching).
Color: blue-grey and pepper-and-salt, silver- or gold-brindle. Brindle less pronounced in the topcoat compared to the other variations

Source: http://dscna.blogspot.com/p/breed-standard.html
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: FCI Standard

Post by Raven »

As the short-haired gets mistaken for anything from a wolf to a deer, what do your beauties get mistaken for? Portugese water dog? Standard poodle or poodle-mix? Or...?
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Jan
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.

Post by Jan »

Something like that; poodles, bouviers etc. But the most memorable mistake was someone who claimed to know for 100% sure that these were Laekenois, that happened long before we had Bas which is a.........Laekenois. No mather what my wife said, he was covinced of his own truth. And probably still is. :lol: :lol:
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thalie has many times been mistaken for a wolf.

Undemanding??? Well, Thalie is always demanding her but scratched and Sadie is always demanding Kisses.

Gait.. What about alot of wiggle?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

This is one of the most precise, well-described, standards I have ever read on a breed. Thanks for sharing.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

I read this somewhere recently as well. Strict to the T